WBA give Nicolas Anelka notice of contract 'termination'

West Bromwich Albion have written to Nicolas Anelka giving him "14 days’ notice of termination as required under his contract".

Live updates

FA to request Nicolas Anelka 'ban transfer'

The Football Association will seek to ensure Nicolas Anelka serves his 'quenelle' suspension wherever he goes next.

Nicolas Anelka Credit: PA

The 35-year-old former French international was given a five-match ban and fined £80,000 by the FA for the 'quenelle' gesture he made during his side's match against West Ham in December.

The FA will write to world governing body FIFA on Monday to ask that the five-match ban it imposed for the gesture is served by Anelka at whichever club he may choose to go to next, according to the Press Association.

The FA will also request that the punishment only be considered complete once the player has paid the £80,000 fine issued alongside the ban, and once he has completed an education course.

WBA: Nicolas Anelka's Twitter termination was 'invalid'

West Bromwich Albion have said that it "notes Nicolas Anelka is unwilling to agree to the conditions set by it which may have enabled his suspension to be lifted and for him to resume training".

These conditions were, firstly, that the Club required Nicolas Anelka to apologise to it, its supporters, sponsors and the wider community for the impact and consequences of his gesture made on December 28 and secondly, that he accept a substantial fine.

Nicolas Anelka’s purported termination of his Premier League contract this evening via Social Media was invalid as this was not conducted under the correct legal process as required by his contract.

– WBA statement


WBA give Anelka notice of contract 'termination'

West Bromwich Albion have written to Nicolas Anelka giving him "14 days’ notice of termination as required under his contract".

Nicolas Anelka Credit: PA Wire

A statement issued by the club said: "The Club considers the conduct of Nicolas Anelka on December 28, coupled with his purported termination on Social Media this evening, to be gross misconduct."

WBA: Nicolas Anelka yet to formally terminate contract

West Bromwich Albion say have not received formal confirmation that Nicolas Anelka has cancelled his contract as they criticised the French striker's claims on Twitter as "highly unprofessional".

Anelka claimed he had left the club to "keep my integrity" on the social network site earlier this evening.

Nicolas Anelka was heavily criticised after making the 'quenelle' gesture against West Ham in December. Credit: PA Wire

The Midlands club confirmed that it had been in discussions with the 35-year-old as part of its internal enquiry into the 'quenelle' incident and had hoped to conclude its own investigations next week.

"The Club notes Nicolas Anelka’s comments on Twitter this evening (Friday). However, the club has received nothing formally regarding the termination of Nicolas Anelka’s contract from either him or his advisers," the statement said.

"The Club regards the release of such a statement on social media as highly unprofessional and will make a further statement when appropriate."

Nicolas Anelka announces he has left West Brom

Nicolas Anelka, who was recently given a five-match ban for using the controversial 'quenelle' gesture, has announced that he has left West Bromwich Albion with immediate effect.

The French striker tweeted his decision, writing in French: "Following discussions between the club and me, proposals have been made to me that I rejoined the group under certain conditions that I can not accept.

"Wishing to keep my integrity, I decided to terminate the contract binding me with West Bromwich Albion until 2014, with immediate effect," the statement concluded.

Back to top