Public Relations specialist Max Clifford is the first person to be convicted as part of Operation Yewtree, the nationwide investigation launched in the wake of the abuse claims made against Jimmy Saville.
The guilty verdicts will be welcomed by police and prosecutors who had faced questions over the success of the inquiry, which so far has only seen four people charged out of the 17 arrested.
Publicity specialist Max Clifford declined to speak to the gathered media outside Southwark Crown Court, saying that his lawyers have advised him against saying anything.
A leading campaign group has spoken in support of both the victims of Max Clifford and the way in which the Crown Prosecution Service dealt with the case.
Holly Dustin, director of the End Violence Against Women Coalition, said:
The long deliberation in this case shows that the jury took its role very seriously and considered all the evidence on each charge very carefully. We pay tribute, in particular, to the victims in this case who have faced a long and difficult process.
This verdict also shows that the independence of the CPS is critically important, especially in sexual offence cases about which there are widely-held prejudicial attitudes and myths.
The deputy head of the Crown Prosecution Service has said that the guilty verdicts found against Max Clifford represent "long-denied justice" for victims of serious sexual offences.
– Jenny Hopkins, Deputy Chief Crown Prosecutor for CPS London.
Today’s verdicts provide a long-denied justice to the victims of serious sexual offences. I would like to thank these victims for having had the courage to come forward and give evidence.
The victims of sexual abuse, whenever it may have taken place, should know that police and prosecutors will listen.
It is only right that we now take some time to consider our position on the hung count and we will update the court accordingly.
A children's charity has described Max Clifford as a "ruthless and manipulative sex offender" after today's verdicts were delivered at Southwark Crown Court.
Peter Watt, Director of National Services at the NSPCC, said: “Clifford was a rich and influential man who dined with the stars but the way he manipulated and groomed his victims is typical of many sex offenders. He exploited their vulnerabilities, using lies and coercion to get what he wanted.
“Throughout the court case Clifford has behaved dismissively and arrogantly towards his victims and the suffering he has caused them. He made them go through a long and painful court case and relive their traumatic experiences by not pleading guilty."
Max Clifford has been found guilty of eight counts of indecent assault and cleared of another two. The jury at Southwark Crown Court was unable to reach a verdict on one other:
- Count 1: indecent assault of a 14-year-old in 1966 - verdict not reached
- Count 2: indecent assault of an 18-year-old receptionist in his office in 1975 - not guilty
- Counts 3-6: 15-year-old school girl repeatedly abused between 1977-78 - guilty
- Count 7: 19-year-old promised a film role and groped in a taxi in 1978 - not guilty
- Count 8: indecent assault of 20-year-old gymnast - the publicist's oldest victim - in the early 1980s - guilty
- Count 9-10: indecent assaults of 17-year-old model in his office - guilty
- Count 11: 18-year-old assaulted in a nightclub toilet in 1984 - guilty
Judge Anthony Leonard QC warned Max Clifford that the fact he has been released on bail until Friday is not a reflection on the sentence that will be passed.
"You must realise that the fact I have given you bail is no indication of what the final sentence will be," he said.
Clifford, who had listened to the verdicts through a hearing loop, left the he courtroom with friends and supporters in complete silence, one of them patting him on the shoulder as he walked.
Criminologist and child protection expert Mark Williams-Thomas said the sentencing of 71-year-old publicist Max Clifford has been adjourned until Friday.
Sentencing adjourned until Friday #MaxClifford
Max Clifford has been found guilty of eight counts of indecent assault, cleared of two and the jury was unable to reach a verdict on one other.