Four-year sentence for one-punch killer 'not unduly lenient'

Court of Appeal judges have ruled that the four-year sentence given to Lewis Gill, 21, for the one-punch manslaughter of Asperger's sufferer Andrew Young in an unprovoked attack in Bournemouth, was not "unduly lenient".

Live updates

Attorney General accepts one-punch killer ruling

The Attorney General Dominic Grieve has accepted the decision of the Court of Appeal to uphold the sentence for one-punch killer Lewis Gill.

The Attorney General Dominic Grieve asked the Court of Appeal to review Mr Gill's sentence Credit: Dave Thompson/PA Archive/Press Association Images

Mr Grieve referred the decision on Mr Gill's jail term to the Court of Appeal after it provoked outrage, and today called the case one of "gratuitous, unprovoked violence".

Andrew Young, 40, died after being struck in the unprovoked attack by Mr Gill, 20, in Bournemouth, Dorset, on November 6 last year.

Lewis Gill was sentenced to four years in jail after being found guilty of the manslaughter of Andrew Young Credit: Police

"It was broad daylight when Lewis Gill delivered a very deliberate, forceful and vicious punch," Mr Grieve said.

"I asked the Court of Appeal to look again at this sentence as I believed it was unduly lenient. They have taken the view that the four-year sentence imposed on Lewis Gill should not be increased and I accept their decision entirely."

Four year sentence stands for one-punch killer

Judges at the Court of Appeal have upheld a sentence given to Lewis Gill, who was found guilty of manslaughter after punching Andrew Young, 40, in an unprovoked attack.

Andrew Young sustained a serious head injury and later died at Southampton Hospital Credit: Police

Mr Young later died from a head injury which he suffered when he hit the ground.

Mr Gill, 20, was sentenced to four years in jail for the offence, a decision which provoked outrage.

Mr Young's mother, 71-year-old Pamela Young, called the sentence "an absolute joke".

The incident occurred on November 6 last year outside the Tesco Metro store on Charminster Road in Bournemouth.

Gill later pleaded guilty to manslaughter and was sentenced at Salisbury Crown Court.

Attorney General Dominic Grieve argued today that the sentence was not a proper reflection of the gravity of what Gill did.

But the Appeal Court judges decided there should not be any change to the four years being served by Mr Gill.


Back to top