10:44 am, Mon 07 Jul 2014
Lord Brittan confirmed he had been questioned by police.
Credit: PA Wire
Former Home Secretary Lord Brittan says an allegation of rape against him is "wholly without foundation".
"It is true that I have been questioned by the police about a serious allegation made against me. This allegation is wholly without foundation," he said in a statement.
7:33 am, Sun 06 Jul 2014
A Metropolitan Police spokesman confirmed an allegation of rape had been made against a man in his seventies over an incident in 1967. The spokesman said:
In late 2012, a woman alleged to the Metropolitan Police Service that she was raped by a man in 1967 at an address in London.
The woman was over the age of 18 at the time of the incident.
The allegation is being investigated by officers from the Sexual Offences, Exploitation and Child Abuse Command.
In June 2014, a man aged in his seventies was interviewed under caution by appointment at a central London location in connection with the allegation.
He was not arrested. Enquiries continue.
Read: Former-home secretary Lord Brittan 'quizzed over rape claim'
7:23 am, Sun 06 Jul 2014
Former home secretary Leon Brittan.
Former home secretary Leon Brittan has been questioned by police in connection with an historical allegation of rape,
The Independent on Sunday reported.
The 74-year-old Conservative peer was questioned under police caution last month but was not arrested, the paper said.
A woman has alleged that rape took place in London in 1967 when she was 19, police confirmed.
Lord Brittan is understood to have strongly denied the allegation.