- 14 updates
Staff at Gatwick Airport have said it is "business as usual" today despite fears over potential delays at baggage reclaim.
Extra workers had been drafted in as part of a contingency plan to avoid last weekend's disruption where passengers faced long delays to pick up their luggage.
"The average wait time in the hall this morning so far has been 30 minutes, which is no different to most other weekends," a Gatwick spokesman said.
"Going into the weekend we are not expecting any issues but we have put extra staff in place."
Forty extra baggage staff are being drafted in at Gatwick Airport to prevent any repeat of the chaos they experienced last weekend.
Staff shortages meant baggage-handling company Swissport was unable to cope with a succession of off-schedule arrivals late last Saturday night.
Arriving travellers were told to go home without their bags or face long delays.
But Swissport, who has apologised for the problems, said it had drafted in 40 extra staff to cope with demand this weekend, which is expected to be one of the airport's busiest.
Gatwick management is also laying on staff to assist with the baggage operation.
They stressed last week's problems only affected incoming flights and said they were expecting a "smooth weekend."
Gatwick Airport has said it is not anticipating any baggage issues this weekend.
The airport said it had "robust contingency plans" in place, with 60 extra staff on standby to support baggage handlers Swissport.
Airline Thomas Cook has said it is working to ensure its customers do not experience baggage delays at Gatwick Airport.
A spokesperson for Thomas Cook told ITV News that the company was disappointed that recent baggage issues - which led to delays of up to four hours last weekend - had affected "too many passengers".
Gatwick is drafting in its own staff to help with baggage handling following issues with baggage handling firm Swissport.
ITV News Consumer Editor Chris Choi reports:
Baggage handling company Swissport has denied claims zero-hours contracts were to blame for the disruption at Gatwick Airport last weekend.
Staff shortages at the company forced hundreds of passengers to go home without their luggage and left others waiting for up to five hours to reclaim their bags at the airport on July 27.
The firm told ITV News' Chris Choi the "suggestion that issues may have been caused by zero hour contracts is untrue".
Despite warnings that passengers could face yet more problems this weekend, Swissport said all services this morning were meeting targets.
"Baggage services to client airlines to 7am this morning was good and within its targets. There were no appreciable delays," the company said.
Willie Walsh, chief executive of British Airways parent company IAG, has told ITV News he is prepared to look at other options if baggage handlers Swissport fail to resolve their issues at Gatwick Airport.
"I think they (Swissport) have some issues at Gatwick that they need to address, and if they don't address them to our satisfaction then we have options," he told ITV News' Chris Choi.
"At this stage we are working with them. We are satisfied they are putting the right measures in place and I'm confident they will resolve them
"If they don't we will certainly look at other opportunities."
International Airlines chief executive Willie Walsh has apologised to passengers for the baggage problems at Gatwick Airport.
Mr Walsh told ITV News that he will consider other options if baggage handling firm Swissport fail to resolve the problems that caused widespread disruption last weekend.
ITV News Consumer Editor Chris Choi tweeted:
Passengers have been told to pack essential items in their hand luggage to prepare for the possibility of more baggage chaos at Gatwick.
A spokeswoman for travel organisation Abta said today: "We hope people can pass through Gatwick smoothly this weekend. But if people are concerned it would be a good idea for them to put essential items in their carry-on bags.
"Both Gatwick and Swissport are putting on extra people and we are confident this should help address the problem."
Ryanair have urged Gatwick Airport, Swissport and remaining baggage staff to "pull together" so passengers stand some hope of getting their bags back quickly.
Deputy director of flight operations, Peter Bellows told Good Morning Britain they had told Swissport their service was "awful" for both passengers and airlines.
Latest ITV News reports
Insiders believe the drive to keep seat prices low means airlines want baggage contracts to be kept at the lowest cost possible.