China earthquake death toll increases to 598

The death toll in southern China's earthquake has increased to 589, local authorities say.

About 12,000 homes collapsed when the quake struck on Sunday afternoon, around 230 miles north-east of Yunnan province's capital, Kunming.

Live updates

China earthquake death toll rises to 'at least 398'

The number of people killed in an earthquake in China has risen to at least 398 with 1,800 injured, China's official Xinhua News Agency reported.

About 12,000 homes collapsed when the quake struck on Sunday afternoon, around 230 miles north-east of Yunnan province's capital, Kunming.

Read: At least 376 killed in southwestern China earthquake

Paramilitary policemen carry an injured resident with a makeshift stretcher after an earthquake hit Longtoushan township of Ludian county in China. Credit: Reuters

Rescuers, many digging by hand, have found scores of survivors including a five-year-old boy whose legs were injured, Xinhua reported.

Firefighters rescued 32 people who had been trapped but had retrieved the bodies of 43 residents.

An injured woman walks with her relatives after the earthquake which has so far killed at least 398 people. Credit: Reuters

Heavy rain and thunderstorms in the area were complicating efforts to bring tents, water, food and other relief supplies to survivors.

Rainstorms are expected to continue to hinder rescue efforts over the coming days.

Paramilitary policemen carry an injured man through a muddy road after an earthquake hit. Although the death toll has risen, rescuers have found scores of survivors. Credit: Reuters

Advertisement

Chinese earthquake death toll rises to 'at least 381'

The number of people killed in an earthquake in China has risen to "at least 381", according to the Associated Press.

A paramilitary policeman carries a baby in his arm after the quake which hit 6.3 on the richter scale. Credit: Reuters/China Daily

Around 12,000 homes collapsed in Ludian, a densely populated county located in China's Yunnan province, China's official Xinhua News Agency reported.

Resident Ma Liya told the agency the streets were like a "battlefield after a bombardment" and far worse than a quake which struck the area in 2012 killing 81 people.

Chinese news channel CCTV said 1,891 were injured, three were missing and 29,400 had been evacuated.

At least 376 killed in southwestern China earthquake

At least 367 people have been killed and 1,881 injured after a magnitude 6.3 earthquake struck southwestern China, causing thousands of buildings, including a school, to collapse.

People run past a hillside alley which is at risk of landslide after an earthquake hit Ludian. Credit: REUTERS/China Daily
A boy sits next to his sister at a hospital in Ludian county of Zhaotong. Credit: REUTERS/Wong Campion
People walk among debris after an earthquake hit Ludian county. Credit: REUTERS/China Daily

China sends 2,500 troops to help with earthquake relief

China has dispatched more than 2,500 troops to help with the rescue effort after 6.3 earthquake struck the Yunnan Province in the countries south west, according to state news agency Xinhua.

A child drinks milk from a bottle at a hospital after being injured in the earthquake. Credit: REUTERS/Wong Campion

At least 175 people have been killed and 181 others are missing according to the country's Ministry of Civil Affairs. More than 1,400 people were injured, Xinhua reported.

Strong quake in southwestern China kills at least 175

At least 175 people died after a magnitude 6.3 earthquake struck in southwestern China.

Hundreds of houses collapsed after an earthquake hit Ludian county. Credit: REUTERS/China Daily

More than 180 people are missing and 1,400 injured in a remote area of Yunnan province, where thousands of buildings, including a school, collapsed after the quake.

Policemen carry an injured resident after an earthquake hit Ludian county. Credit: REUTERS/China Daily

The government is sending 2,000 tents, 3,000 folding beds, 3,000 quilts and 3,000 coats to the disaster zone, where heavy rain forecast for the coming days will add to the misery, the official Xinhua news agency said.

Advertisement

Back to top