Man charged with murder of 'beheaded' grandma

Police have charged 25-year-old Nicholas Salvador with the murder of grandmother Palmira Silva, who was 'beheaded' in her back garden on Thursday.

Salvador is alleged to have killed a cat before attacking the 82-year-old pensioner in Edmonton, north London in broad daylight.

Live updates

Police wait to question 'beheading' attacker

Detectives are waiting to question an alleged knife attacker who remains in hospital under police guard after apparently beheading an 82-year-old grandmother.

Police on Nightingale Road, Edmonton, north London, after the attack. Credit: John Stillwell/PA Wire

The 25-year-old allegedly murdered Palmira Silva in Edmonton, north London yesterday, after killing a pet cat and rampaging through back gardens ranting about the animal.

An armed squad Tasered the knifeman as he struggled against officers leaving one with a broken wrist.


Man who 'beheaded' pensioner 'killed cat beforehand'

A man alleged to have beheaded an 82-year-old woman in her garden killed a cat beforehand, witnesses claim.

The witness, who did not want to be named, said: "There was a scream so I went to the windows and saw a guy with a machete with blood dripping from it. We saw a cat on the floor without a head."

A Metropolitan Police spokesman said they believed this to be the case but would not comment further on the case.

Neighbour: Woman killed was 'such a sweet lady'

A neighbour who knew victim 82-year-old Palmira Silva said she was "such a sweet lady" who still went to work every day in a nearby cafe.

Her husband died about five years ago. I think she came from Italy originally.

I was speaking to her yesterday. She was weeding in the front garden, she loved her gardening.

She was sitting having a rest.

I said 'You've been doing such hard work, your flowers are beautiful'. She said 'I know'.

I think maybe today she was in the back garden.

She was such a sweet lady. She was slow getting around but she still went to work. I think really after her husband died that's what kept her going.

– Neighbour

The woman, who did not wish to be named, said she had known her since 1987, adding that she was left "devastated" by the news.


Edmonton residents told to evacuate after attack

Residents said they had been told by police to evacuate their homes in Edmonton following reports of a man with a knife.

Muhammed Yusuf said officers knocked on the door.

He said: "They just said 'You've got to get out of the house'. Of course I was worried."

His son Ahmed,19, said: "At first there were two police cars, then all of a sudden there were 20.

"The police said to drop everything. I said 'What's going on?' and they said there's a guy jumping over gardens."

Police: Officers used tasers in arrest over 'beheading'

A Met Police commander has said that officers discharged tasers when arresting a man on suspicion of murder, after reports that a woman's body was found in a back garden in London.

Commander Simon Letchford said officers were called at 1pm this afternoon to reports of a man carrying knife. He said: "During the arrest officers did discharge tasers and at least one firearms officer has been injured with we believe a broken wrist."

Load more updates Back to top