Cameron calls on EU to double Ebola funding

David Cameron has called for EU leaders to double their funding in the fight against Ebola to £800 million.

It comes after one of the doctors who discovered the virus, Professor Peter Piot, said the rest of Europe was not doing enough to tackle the epidemic.

Downing Street said the current total contribution from the EU was just £400 million.

Live updates

'Nightmare scenario' avoided as Nigeria is declared Ebola-free

Nigeria has been declared officially free of Ebola after a 42-day period with no new cases, the World Health Organisation (WHO) has said.

The announcement eases fears that the disease could have spread to one of Africa's most densely-populated areas.

Commuters and traders crowd at a market in Nigeria's largest city Lagos Credit: REUTERS/George Esiri

WHO Director General Dr Margaret Chan said on Sunday that the appearance of the virus in Lagos would have been "the worst nightmare scenario anyone could imagine".

She said the nation's innovative polio campaign, which uses satellite technologies to track population, had been re-purposed to aid the fight against Ebola.

Last week, the WHO announced that Senegal was Ebola-free, but the pace of the outbreak continues to quicken in the three worst-hit countries.

Hammond: EU must raise a billion euros to fight Ebola

Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond has said it is vital that the European Union raises one billion euros (£800 million) to help fight Ebola.

Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond Credit: APTN

Speaking ahead of a meeting of EU foreign ministers, he said: "There is a major health crisis here. We've got a very short window to get on top of it and prevent the uncontrollable spread of this disease."

Advertisement

British nurse who survived Ebola returns to Sierra Leone

William Pooley. Credit: PA Wire

The British nurse who survived Ebola after contracting the virus in Sierra Leone has returned to the West African country to continue treat others who are infected.

William Pooley, 29, said he was delighted to be back in the country and would attempt to prevent "as many unnecessary deaths as possible".

The 29-year-old, who was the first confirmed Briton to contract Ebola and was flown back to UK for treatment in August, arrived in the capital Freetown on Sunday.

He will now resume work in an Ebola isolation unit run by UK medical staff.

Mr Pooley said: "The real emergency is in West Africa, and the teams out there need all the support we can give them.

"I am now looking forward to getting back out there and doing all I can to prevent as many unnecessary deaths as possible."

US to create 30-member Ebola response team

U.S. Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel has ordered the creation of a 30-member expeditionary medical support team to provide emergency help in a U.S. domestic Ebola response, a Pentagon spokesman has said.

Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel ordered the creation of the new team. Credit: Reuters

The team of five doctors, 20 nurses and five trainers could respond on short notice to help civilian medical professionals, spokesman Rear Admiral John Kirby said.

The team will not be deployed to West Africa or elsewhere overseas.

UN Ebola chief: World 'was not prepared' for outbreak

The official in charge of the UN response to the Ebole outbreak has admitted the world was "not prepared" for an outbreak on the scale seen in recent months.

Health workers battling the outbreak in Sierra Leone. Credit: Reuters

Anthony Banbury, who heads the UN Mission for Ebola Emergency Respone (UNMEER), told NBC: "The world was not prepared for an outbreak of Ebola like this nature."

"We had never seen it before spreading in wide geographical areas, spreading in urban settings, densely populated urban settings," he added.

Spain to let US use air bases to help Ebola effort

The United States will use two Spanish military bases to help in its efforts to fight the Ebola outbreak in west Africa.

A statement from Spain's Defence Ministry said the US will use the bases in the south-west of the country to transport personnel and equipment to and from the affected region.

Defence Minister Pedro Morenes agreed the deal with his US counterpart Chuck Hagel in Washington.

Advertisement

Canada to ship experimental Ebola vaccines to WHO

Canada will start shipping its experimental Ebola vaccine to the World Health Organization.

A laboratory technician works on Ebola vaccine in Germany. Credit: Reuters

The WHO, in consultation with health authorities in the countries most affected by the outbreak of the disease, will decide on how the vaccine will be distributed and used, the Public Health Agency of Canada said.

Canada will ship 800 vials of its experimental vaccine in three separate shipments, as a precautionary measure.

Oxfam: Troops needed to tackle spread of Ebola

UK charity Oxfam has called for 'more troops, funding and medical staff' to tackle Ebola. Credit: Anna Gowthorpe/PA Wire/Press Association Images

More troops, funding and medical staff are urgently needed to prevent the Ebola outbreak becoming the "definitive humanitarian disaster of our generation", Oxfam has warned.

The UK-based charity said there was less than a two-month window to curb the spread of the deadly virus but there remained a "crippling shortfall" in military personnel to provide logistical support across west Africa.

The charity said it was "extremely rare" to call for military intervention but troops were "desperately needed" to build treatment centres, provide flights and offer engineering and logistical support.

Oxfam also called for European Union foreign ministers meeting in Brussels on Monday to follow the UK's lead in pledging £125m in response to the Ebola crisis.

We are in the eye of a storm. We cannot allow Ebola to immobilise us in fear, but instead we must move toward a common mission to stop it from getting worse...Countries that have failed to commit troops, doctors and enough funding are in danger of costing lives.

– Oxfam's chief executive Mark Goldring

Obama appoints Ebola 'czar' to tackle breaches in Texas

US President Barack Obama. Credit: PA

Barack Obama has appointed an Ebola "czar" to help tackle breaches of protocol which took place in Texas, where the killer virus first appeared on US soil.

The President has chosen Ron Klain, a lawyer who had served as chief of staff to Vice Presidents Joe Biden and Al Gore, to oversee the US response.

The White House also said it would send senior personnel to Dallas, Texas, to help federal, state and local officials there trying to identify and monitor people who came in contact with three people who contracted the disease.

Thomas Eric Duncan, the first person diagnosed with the disease in the United States, died last week.

Two nurses who were on the team caring for Duncan have now contracted it and are being monitored.

Vomiting Pentagon woman does not have Ebola

A woman who became ill in the Pentagon car park does not have Ebola, officials said.

The public relations worker was put in quarantine at the Inova Fairfax Hospital and medical personnel took all needed precautions.

But despite fears she may have recently having been in West Africa, her boss confirmed she had not been out of the Washington area.

Load more updates Back to top

Latest ITV News reports