- 18 updates
The case of two men who died after receiving infected kidneys has raised questions over the system of organ donation and the checks involved.
Jim Stuart and Darren Hughes both underwent surgery in Cardiff last year. The donor was a known alcoholic and the kidneys were infected with parasitic worms.
Our Science Correspondent Alok Jha spent the day on a transplant ward in Newcastle talking to patients, some of whom say they'd rather have a high risk organ than stay on the waiting list:
Argiris Asderakis, the consultant transplant surgeon who was responsible for the kidney operations, has apologised for what happened.
The families of Robert 'Jim' Stuart and Darren Hughes say they feel like their accounts weren't believe and want the cases referred to the General Medical Council.
Speaking outside Cardiff Coroner's Court, solicitor Julie Lewis who represents both families, said they were grateful for the coroner's investigation but were disappointed by some of the comments he made in his verdict.
She said she has been instructed to make referrals to the General Medical Council and also investigate civil negligence claims in the case.
Ms Lewis added that both families understand that what happened was 'incredibly rare' and people shouldn't be put off transplantation.
The Coroner has ruled that Darren Hughes died as a result of his necessary medical treatment.
The Coroner has ruled that Robert Stuart died as a result of his necessary medical treatment.
A Coroner has said that decision to use kidneys from a donor who it was believed had died from meningitis was correct.
Two men from south Wales died after receiving donor kidneys that turned out to carry a deadly parasitic worm.
The organs implanted in Darren Hughes and Robert 'Jim' Stuart had been rejected by several other hospitals before they were eventually used.
The inquest into the deaths of two transplant patients who died after receiving kidneys infected with parasitic worms has been adjourned until 3rd December.
The inquest into the deaths of two transplant patients has heard that the viruses and conditions the donor and his organ had been tested for included hepatitis, HIV, dengue fever and herpes - all of which proved negative.
UHW consultant surgeon Argiris Asderakis said pre-operation checks on the donor kidneys and the recipients gave him no cause for concern.
When Mr Asderakis was asked whether he or other doctors would have been expected to check for halcephalobus - a parasitic worm-, he replied:
"No, not at all. I had never even heard of it before.
"Nobody could have predicted what ended up being the first human to human transmission of this bug.
"Could I have foreseen it? No.
"I know this is no consolation to the families."
He also insisted that, given what he knew at the time, he considered the organs to be of "low risk".
A surgeon has told an inquest that one of two patients who died after receiving a kidney transplant was aware of the donor's suspected viral meningitis.
Robert Stuart, known as Jim to his family, was advised of possible kidney dysfunction, Argiris Asderakis told the hearing at Cardiff Coroner's Court
The 67-year-old, from Cardiff and 42-year-old Darren Hughes, 42, of Bridgend, both died after receiving a kidney from the same donor at University Hospital of Wales in Cardiff in December 2013.
The inquest has heard that doctors knew the donor had died from meningitis before accepting the organs.
A surgeon has explained to an inquest why he was content to receive kidneys for two men from an alcoholic donor who had died from meningitis.
Argiris Asderakis, Consultant Transplant Surgeon at University Hospital of South Wales, told the hearing he was initially told the donor died from meningoencephalitis - a medical condition that resembles meningitis and brain infection encephalitis.
Giving evidence at Cardiff Coroner's Court, Asderakis said he believed that the threat of a virus in the organs, which had been rejected by several hospitals, was "most likely" covered by the treatment the donor had been receiving.
Robert Stuart, 67, from Cardiff, and Darren Hughes, 42, of Bridgend, both died after being given kidneys from an alcoholic donor infected with the deadly parasitic worm halcephalobus.