Live updates: France remembers Nice attack victims

  • French prime minister is booed and told to resign at a memorial for the victims of the attack
  • An attacker in a lorry mowed down hundreds of people during Bastille Day celebrations in Nice
  • Prosecutors have revealed the attacker did several scouting missions on the Promenade des Anglais
  • At least 84 people, including foreigners and children, died in the atrocity
  • The French government is facing growing criticism of its handling of national security

Live updates

French vent their anger at PM following Nice attack

The people of France have vented their anger at a government they accuse of failing to protect them against terrorism.

The country's prime minister was booed as he attended a memorial service for the victims of the Nice attack, with shouts of "murderer" and calls for him to resign.

Eighty-four people have died following Thursday's attack, the third major atrocity in France in just 18 months.

ITV News correspondent Emma Murphy reports:

Advertisement

Bouhlel 'took selfies on promenade' hours before attack

Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel was driving the lorry that killed 84 people. Credit: Reuters

The Nice attacker took selfies on the promenade hours before mowing down 84 people with a lorry on Bastille Day, prosecutors have revealed.

Paris prosecutor Francois Molins said that on the day of the attack, Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel appeared to have spent much of the day on the Promenade des Anglais, taking selfies on the beach and the walkway.

It was also revealed that around eight months ago he took a picture of a news story headlined "Man deliberately rams car into cafe terrace", seemingly the first sign he was planning something.

Around the same time, Bouhlel showed a friend a video of a hostage being decapitated.

Nice attacker scouted promenade before Bastille Day

The Promenade des Anglais, where the attack happened. Credit: Reuters

The Nice lorry attacker did several scouting missions on the Promenade des Anglais before carrying out the deadly Bastille Day attack, prosecutors have revealed.

Mohamed Lahouiaej Bouhlel had been searching online for July 14 celebrations, seemingly planning his attack, which left 84 people dead.

The prosecutor said there was no proof the attacker had direct links to the so-called Islamic State group, but internet searches showed he was interested in radical Islamist movements.

Bouhlel paid €1,600 (£1,330) on July 4 to hire the truck used in the attack and in the days before the massacre he was caught twice on CCTV rehearsing the journey that he would take on July 14, prosecutors said.

UK police review event security following Nice attack

Amber Rudd speaks in the House of Commons on Monday.

All police forces in the UK have reviewed security arrangements at upcoming public events following the Nice lorry attack, the Home Secretary has said.

Amber Rudd told the House of Commons that the Foreign Office was continuing to provide assistance to anyone concerned about friends or relatives caught up in the attack, in which 84 people were killed.

Ms Rudd said investigative assistance has been offered to French authorities following the incident, which she said defied "all comprehension".

Advertisement

US student studying abroad among Nice victims

Student Nicolas Leslie had been on a summer programme in Nice Credit: University of California

A US student studying in France has been confirmed as the latest victim in the Nice truck massacre.

Nicolas Leslie, a student at the University of California, Berkeley, had been studying in Nice at the time of Thursday's terrorist attack.

Leslie, 20, was one of 85 people participating in a summer entrepreneurship programme in Nice. He was among four Berkeley students to be caught up in the deadly attack which claimed the lives of 84 people.

His death was reported to campus officials by the FBI on Sunday.

Berkeley's Chancellor Nicholas Dirks said: "All of us in the UC Berkeley family — both here on campus, and around the world — are heartbroken to learn that another promising young student has been lost to senseless violence.

"I join Nick’s parents, friends and the entire campus community in condemning this horrific attack, and in mourning the loss of one of our own".

Ex-wife of Nice attacker released from police custody

Credit: Reuters

The estranged wife of Nice attacker Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel has been released from police custody.

A lawyer for the woman, who is the mother of his children, said she was no longer in touch with Bouhlel.

Jean-Yves Garino told local media she had been physically abused by her husband and thrown him out.

Mr Garino added Bouhlel was also with the rest of the family, including hiw mother-in-law.

Six people are still being held in custody in connection with the attack.

Chilling last messages from lorry killer in Nice

He sent the messages from the cab of the lorry

The Bastille Day killer sent chilling text messages just minutes before the deadly attack in Nice, according to French TV reports.

Moments before Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel ploughed a truck into a crowd and killed 84 people, he sent messages detailing his plans.

One read: "Bring more weapons. Bringing in 5," according to judicial sources quoted by French TV.

An earlier text read: "It's good. I have the equipment."

Load more updates Back to top

Latest ITV News reports