Princes William and Harry cracked jokes with each other as they made multi-billion pound deals for charity on a City trading floor.
A man widowed in the September 11 attacks has returned to the top of the World Trade Center to honour the memory of the wife he lost there.
Actors, sports stars and celebrities have taken to the trading floor during BGC Partners global charity day in London.
President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama have led a ceremony of remembrance at the White House on the 11th anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks.
Families of the victims of the 9/11 attacks in New York paid tribute to their loved ones during a ceremony at Ground Zero.
It is 11 years ago today that the attacks killed nearly 3,000 people.
The 70,000 surviving firefighters, police officers and other first responders who raced to the World Trade Center after the attacks on September 11th, will be entitled to free monitoring and treatment for some 50 forms of cancer.
While other illnesses have long been covered by a compensation scheme, there has been a long debate over including cancers.
The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health has said that responders as well as survivors exposed to toxic compounds from the wreckage, which smoldered for three months, will be covered for cancer under the Zadroga 9/11 Health and Compensation Act.
Illnesses related to the attacks have caused an estimated 1,000 deaths. Last week, the New York City Fire Department etched nine more names into a memorial wall honouring firefighters who died from illnesses after their work at Ground Zero, bringing the total to 64.
The names of those who lost their lives in the September 11th terror attacks in 2001 as well as those who died in the 1993 attack will be read by family members, at the site of the World trade Center.
There will be pauses for six moments which mark the timeline of the 9/11 attacks which left 2,998 dead.
The accused September 11 mastermind and four suspected co-conspirators will face trial at Guantanamo for their suspected roles in the 2001 terrorist attack.
– Jay Carney, White House spokesman
It has been more than 10 years since 9/11 and the president is committed to ensuring that those who were accused of perpetrating the attacks against the United States be brought to justice."
- Khalid Sheikh Mohammed was captured in Pakistan in March 2003.
- He was reportedly waterboarded 183 times while being interrogated by the CIA before his transfer to Guantanamo Bay in 2006.
- He allegedly claims to have been the man who beheaded the kidnapped US journalist Daniel Pearl.
- The self-proclaimed head of al Qaeda's military committee has apparently admitted to the following: organising the 9/11 attack, responsibility for Richard Reid, the failed shoe bomber, the bombings of Bali nightclubs and a Kenyan hotel, the 1993 attack on the World Trade Center in New York.
- Mohammed reportedly admitted to the following plots: a plot to assassinate former US President Bill Clinton and the late Pope John Paul II, a plot to attack Heathrow, Canary Wharf and Big Ben in London and a plot to hit towers in four major US cities, including the Empire State Building.
The decision to try Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and his four co-conspirators at Guantanamo Bay instead of a court in New York has been criticised by The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU).
The Obama administration is making a terrible mistake by prosecuting the most important terrorism trials of our time in a second-tier system of justice.
– Anthony Romero, The American Civil Liberties Union
Whatever verdict comes out of the Guantanamo military commissions will be tainted by an unfair process and the politics that wrongly pulled these cases from federal courts, which have safely and successfully handled hundreds of terrorism trials."