The animal equivalent of the Victoria Cross has been awarded to a labrador called Sasha who was killed serving in Afghanistan in 2008.
An exhibition of photographs of Afghanistan by acclaimed photojournalist Steve McCurry opens in London this week.
Army search dog Sasha, who died alongside her handler in Afghanistan, will be honoured with the animal equivalent of the Victoria Cross.
Afghan presidential candidate Abdullah Abdullah has declared he was the winner of last month's run-off vote, despite preliminary results showing that Ashraf Ghani won the June 14 second round.
Abdullah rejected the outcome, saying the process was "marred by widespread fraud".
He has accused president Hamid Karzai, who is stepping down after 12 years in power, of helping rig the vote in favour of Ghani.
Thousands of Abdullah's supporters have gathered in Kabul with some claiming his camp should declare victory and form a parallel government.
The Taliban has claimed responsibility for an attack eastern Afghanistan today that killed four Nato servicemen, 10 Afghan civilians and two Afghan policemen.
An initial statement from local police said that at least six soldiers had been killed but this was later revised down to four by the International Security Assistance Force.
Ziaul Rahman Sayedkhili, a senior police officer in the eastern province of Parwan where the attack took place, said that a suicide bomber on a bicycle struck while the Nato servicemen were investigating a recent rocket attack on the US military base in the province.
At least six Nato servicemen, 10 Afghan civilians and two policemen have been killed in a suicide attack in Afghanistan's Parwan province, police said.
No one immediately claimed responsibility for the attack and no other details were available.
The Naro-led international force in Afghanistan has not yet commented.
The five soldiers killed earlier today in a 'friendly fire' incident are American, a US defence official has told Associated Press.
BREAKING: Defense official says 5 NATO soldiers killed in southern Afghanistan attack are American.
The five Nato service personnel killed in southern Afghanistan were involved in an apparent 'friendly fire' incident, the international coalition has said.
"The casualties occurred during a security operation when their unit came into contact with enemy forces. Tragically, there is the possibility that fratricide may have been involved. The incident is under investigation." Nato said in a statement.
A spokeswoman for the Ministry of Defence said they were not British personnel. Most of the forces operating in the area are from the United States.
Nato has said that five military personnel have been killed in southern Afghanistan, the Associated Press have reported.
BREAKING: NATO says 5 service members have been killed in an attack in southern Afghanistan.
There were no details as to the location of the incident or the nationality of those involved. It is coalition policy for home countries to identify their own military dead.
President Obama announced plans to greatly reduce the number of US forces in Afghanistan, to conclude combat missions in the country this year and to end the US military commitment by the end of 2016.
The president acknowledged that US forces had been in Afghanistan for longer than expected, but said they were now at the stage to plan to "finish the job we started."
Barack Obama has stressed it is up to Afghanistan to decide its future after announcing US troops will withdraw from the country in 2016.
The US president said: "Afghanistan will not be a perfect place and it's not US responsibility to make it one."
President Obama added: "We have now been in Afghanistan longer than many Americans expected.
"Thanks to skills of our troops and diplomats, we have eliminated Osama Bin Laden and prevented Afghanistan from launching attacks on our homeland."
"We remain committed to a sovereign and stable Afghanistan and will continue to promote that through reconciliation.
"The future of Afghanistan must be decided by Afghans."
Barack Obama has announced that American combat missions in Afghanistan will end this year.
The US president said in 2015, 9,800 US troops will remain in the country and that presence will be halved by the end of the year.
President Obama said the following year all troops will withdraw from the country.
In a press conference at the White House, the US president said: "This weekend I travelled to Afghanistan to thank the men and women and civilians as a grateful nation for the sacrifices made for our security."
Barack Obama has called Afghan President Hamid Karzai to detail his plans for US troops in the country.
A senior US official said the American president phoned Mr Karzai on Tuesday about his strategy to leave 9,800 troops in the country beyond 2014.