Gunmen have used rockets to attack Kabul International Airport in the Afghan capital, a senior military official has said.
The gunmen occupied two buildings, which were under construction and used them as a base to fire rockets and gunfire toward planes at the airport, according to NBC News.
ISAF jet fighters are currently flying over Kabul, said Afzal Aman, a general in the Afghan army in Kabul.
An explosion followed by bursts of gunfire have been heard near Kabul International Airport in the Afghan capital.
Smoke was also seen rising above the facility, which is used by civilians and the military, a Reuters witness said.
At least 30 people have died after a car packed with explosives went off in a crowded market in Afghanistan's eastern province of Paktika, police said.
Police said at least 40 people have been injured:
Right now, police are taking all the wounded to hospitals.
Both candidates in the Afghan presidential election have agreed to abide by the results of a comprehensive audit of the second round of the Afghan presidential vote, according to US secretary of state John Kerry.
Kerry said the United Nations would supervise the investigation into the results of the second round of the Afghan presidential vote which has been deadlocked since the June 14.
Both Abdullah Abdullah and Ashraf Ghani have disputed the results but Kerry said they will respect the audit which will be carried out in the country's capital Kabul and take 24 hours to complete.
US Secretary of State John Kerry has said all of the reports of fraud and irregularities in the second round of the Afghan presidential vote need to be resolved.
The election run-off between the leading contenders, Abdullah Abdullah and Ashraf Ghani, has been deadlocked since the June 14 vote, raising concerns in Washington about a smooth transition of power in Afghanistan just as US troops are withdrawing.
Abdullah Abdullah has declared he was the winner of last month's run-off vote, despite preliminary results showing that Ashraf Ghani won the second round.
Financial and military aid to Afghanistan would be cut if any party tries to seize power illegally, US Secretary of State John Kerry has said.
The warning comes after Afghan presidential candidate Abdullah Abdullah claimed he was the winner of last month's run-off vote, despite preliminary results showing that Ashraf Ghani won the June 14 second round.
Thousands of Abdullah's supporters gathered in Kabul with some suggesting his camp should declare victory and form a parallel government.
“I have noted reports of protests in Afghanistan and of suggestions of a ‘parallel government’ with the gravest concern,” said Mr Kerry in a statement during a trip to Asia.
Afghan presidential candidate Abdullah Abdullah has declared he was the winner of last month's run-off vote, despite preliminary results showing that Ashraf Ghani won the June 14 second round.
Abdullah rejected the outcome, saying the process was "marred by widespread fraud".
He has accused president Hamid Karzai, who is stepping down after 12 years in power, of helping rig the vote in favour of Ghani.
Thousands of Abdullah's supporters have gathered in Kabul with some claiming his camp should declare victory and form a parallel government.
The Taliban has claimed responsibility for an attack eastern Afghanistan today that killed four Nato servicemen, 10 Afghan civilians and two Afghan policemen.
An initial statement from local police said that at least six soldiers had been killed but this was later revised down to four by the International Security Assistance Force.
Ziaul Rahman Sayedkhili, a senior police officer in the eastern province of Parwan where the attack took place, said that a suicide bomber on a bicycle struck while the Nato servicemen were investigating a recent rocket attack on the US military base in the province.
At least six Nato servicemen, 10 Afghan civilians and two policemen have been killed in a suicide attack in Afghanistan's Parwan province, police said.
No one immediately claimed responsibility for the attack and no other details were available.
The Naro-led international force in Afghanistan has not yet commented.
The five soldiers killed earlier today in a 'friendly fire' incident are American, a US defence official has told Associated Press.
BREAKING: Defense official says 5 NATO soldiers killed in southern Afghanistan attack are American.