The western African country of Guinea has forbidden the sale and consumption of bats, rats and monkeys as the country fights the spread of Ebola which has claimed the lives of over 70 people so far.
“We discovered the vector agent of the Ebola virus is the bat,” said Remy Lamah, the country’s health minister, in an interview from the town of N’zerekore to Bloomberg News.
“People must even avoid consumption of rats and monkeys. They are very dangerous animals.” Communities eat bats in rural areas around the Ebola-stricken towns of Macenta, Gueckedou and Kissidougou.
Guinea faces an Ebola epidemic on an "unprecedented scale" as it battles to contain confirmed cases scattered across several locations that are far apart, medical charity Medecins Sans Frontieres says.
“We are facing an epidemic of a magnitude never before seen in terms of the distribution of cases in the country” said Mariano Lugli, coordinator of MSF's project in Conakry.
Guinea's health ministry has reported 122 suspected cases, with at least 78 deaths linked to the virus. It has now spread to neighbouring Liberia, as well as Guinea's capital, Conakry, which has a population of two million people.
The below image shows the town of Gueckedou, with reports of an outbreak. The town has an estimated population of 405,000.
Ebola haemorrhagic fever is a rare but serious disease that spreads rapidly through direct contact with infected people or animals. It can be transmitted by blood and body fluids and is often fatal.
At least 78 people have died after contracting the Ebola virus in the west African nation of Guinea, according to health authorities.
Victims develop internal and external bleeding from the virus, which has no cure.
Neighbouring Senegal has closed its land border with Guinea to keep the virus from spreading further. Liberia has confirmed two cases, including one death.
The Ebola outbreak is the first of its kind in west Africa in two decades.
Shocking footage has emerged after a man tried to smuggle a 19-year-old African immigrant into Spanish territory.
The video released by Guardia Civil shows the young man, who is thought to come from Mali, appearing dazed as officers uncover him in the suitcase.
A 39-year-old Moroccan man was arrested after dropping the bag and fleeing when asked for a baggage check, officials said.
The incident occurred on the North African border of Morocco and the Spanish enclave Melilla.
The conservation world has been dealing with the complex problem of poaching by addressing the symptoms but neglecting the causes.Read the full story ›
An ITV News undercover team has gone undercover in a Tanzanian marketplace to show just how easy it is to buy illegal ivory in Africa.Read the full story ›
France's President Francois Hollande said it would be difficult for the current head of Central African Republic to stay in place because he let the crisis unfold.
"I don't want to point fingers but we cannot keep in place a president who was not able to do anything, or even worse, who let things happen," Mr Hollande said in an interview broadcast on the France 24 TV channel.
He said elections should be held before 2015 when the mandate of the interim president, Michel Djotodia, ends.
"The idea is to head as fast as possible towards elections," France's President Francois Hollande said.
Fugitive British terror suspect Samantha Lewthwaite - the widow of one of the July 7 bombers - was making plans to open a juice and frozen yoghurt bar as she allegedly plotted to kill British tourists in Kenya, according to the Sunday Times (£).
Business proposals by the 29-year-old Muslim convert, dubbed the 'White Widow', has been seen by the newspaper.
In handwritten notes, she reportedly compiled a list of necessities for the juice bar, including a fridge and freezer, two blenders, flyers and cocktail umbrellas.
Police found the writings at a villa in Mombasa, on the Kenyan coast, where Lewthwaite stayed before going on the run almost two years ago.
Italy has arrested a Somali man for extortion, rape and kidnapping against Eritrean migrants. The case is based on testimony from the survivors of a shipwreck that killed more than 360 migrants off the coast of Sicily in October.
Elmi Mouhamud Muhidin, 24, was one of the leaders of an armed gang involved in trafficking African migrants into Europe.
Witnesses described being kidnapped in Sahara desert between Sudan and Libya, tortured and forced to pay about £2,000 each for their freedom. According to migrants' testimony seen by Reuters, the women in the group were repeatedly raped.
If convicted, Muhidin faces a maximum prison sentence of 30 years.
A rare solar eclipse has swept across parts of the US, Africa and Europe, leaving some in total darkness.Read the full story ›