Al Qaeda claimed has responsibility for raids on two Iraqi prisons and said more than 500 inmates had been set free in the operation.
Two weeks ago, the conflict in Mali seemed like one of those wars in one of those far away places that most people had barely heard of.
As French troops heading north pass refugees fleeing south, wounded Malian troops warn against underestimating the Islamist militants.
The European Court of Human Rights has found that Poland violated the EU Convention on Human Rights by allowing the CIA to detain two al-Qaeda suspects on Polish territory.
The case was brought by two Saudi-born men who said they were flown in secret to a CIA-run jail in a Polish forest and subjected to treatment that amounted to torture.
Polish officials have denied the existence of the CIA jail. The US has acknowledged that it kept al-Qaeda suspects in facilities outside the US, but has not said where.
The EU court ruled that Poland violated articles around the prohibition of torture, the right to liberty and the right to an effective investigation of their allegations.
Poland has been ordered to pay the men 230,000 euros.
ITV News has spoken to an Al-Qaeda linked group that's helped hundreds of foreigners fight in Syria.
Western security services are concerned the extremists could carry out terror attacks on home soil if they return.
But Al Nusra insists we have nothing to fear.
The centre of the Iraqi city of Fallujah has fallen to al-Qaeda-linked fighters, according to the head of police in the country's Anbar province.
Hadi Razeij told the al-Arabiya news channel: "The walla of the city are in the hands of the police force, but the people of Fallujah are the prisoners of ISIL [Islamic State in Iraq and Levant]."
The Reuters news agency also reported that Iraqi troops lost control of the strategic city of after intense fighting with al-Qaeda militants and local Sunni tribesmen in recent days.
An alleged senior al-Qaeda figure who has been transferred to the United States after interrogation on a US Navy ship is expected to appear in court in New York on Tuesday.
Libyan Nazih al-Ragye, also known as Anas al-Libi, was handed over to US civilian officials over the weekend and is in the New York area, US Attorney Preet Bharara said in a statement.
– Preet Bharara
Anas Al Libi was transferred to law enforcement custody this weekend and was brought directly to the Southern District of New York where he has been under indictment for more than a decade.
The government expects that he will be presented before a judicial officer tomorrow.
Top al-Qaeda suspect Anas al-Libi has arrived in the US to face charges, a US official told Reuters.
He was captured by US forces in a raid in the Libyan city of Tripoli on October 5th and is accused of plotting to bomb US, British, French and Israeli targets in Nairobi as well as helping to mastermind 1998 attacks on US embassies in Kenya and Tanzania.
A group of former Libyan rebels said it seized Prime Minister Ali Zeidan from a hotel because of his government's role in the US capture of a top al-Qaeda suspect in Tripoli.
– Operations Room of Libya's Revolutionaries spokesman
His arrest comes after the statement by John Kerry about the capture of Abu Anas al-Libi, after he said the Libyan government was aware of the operation.
Anas al Libi, whose real name is Nazih Abdul-Hamed Nabih al-Ruqai'I, has reportedly been captured by US forces in a raid in the Libyan city of Tripoli.
- Born in Tripoli, probably in 1964
- Accused of plotting to bomb US, British, French and Israeli targets in Nairobi
- Accused of helping to mastermind 1998 attacks on US embassies in Kenya and Tanzania
- Reputed to be al-Qaeda's computer expert
- Has lived in the UK, where he has political asylum
- Indicted by a court in New York
Source: FBI, NBC News
A senior al-Qaeda leader has been captured near the Libyan city of Tripoli in an operation apparently unrelated to the raid in Somalia, NBC News reports.
Anas al Libi, whose real name is Nazih Abdul-Hamed Nabih al-Ruqai'I, has been wanted by the US for more than a decade and has a $5 million reward on his head.
He also is believed to be behind the attacks on US embassies in Kenya and Tanzania in 1998, which killed 12 Americans and more than 220 Kenyans, NBC News reports.
Three US drone strikes killed a total of 12 suspect al-Qaeda militants in Yemen today, a military official in the country said.
The attacks contribute to a total of eight in under two weeks.
Yemen is on high alert after authorities said they thwarted an al-Qaeda plot to target foreign embassies in the country.
US and UK embassy staff were withdrawn early this week.
The US will extend the closures of several embassies and consulates in the Middle East in response to fears of an al-Qaeda attack, a spokeswoman for the US State Department has said.
Posts in Abu Dhabi, Amman, Cairo, Riyadh, Dhahran, Jeddah, Doha, Dubai, Kuwait, Manama, Muscat, Sanaa, Tripoli, Antanarivo, Bujumbura, Djibouti, Khartoum, Kigali, and Port Louis are instructed to close for normal operations through Saturday.
"This is not an indication of a new threat stream, merely an indication of our commitment to exercise caution," said Jen Psaki.
The decision comes after top national security advisers met at the White House yesterday to discuss a potential al-Qaeda threat from the Arabian Peninsula.