The head of al-Qaeda, Ayman al-Zawahiri has reportedly issued an audio message in which he accuses the United States of plotting the overthrow of Egypt's first Islamist president Mohamed Morsi.
CNN reported the 14-minute message, the apparent first to address Mr Morsi's ousting last month, was posted to Jihadist forums yesterday.
Al-Zawahiri is quoted as saying: "The crusaders, the seculars, the Americanised army, (former President Hosni) Mubarak's thugs and some members of Islamic parties with the support of Gulf money and American plotting, all agreed to topple Mohamed Morsi's government."
In a phone call with Egyptian vice president for foreign affairs, Mr Hague stressed the need for dialogue and reconciliation between all political parties including Mr Morsi's Muslim Brotherhood.
The Foreign Secretary also condemned the excessive use of force by security services as well as attacks against them.
Mr Hague said: "We want to see a peaceful resolution that will bring an urgent end to the current bloodshed. In my view, this should involve a process of dialogue and reconciliation between all political parties in Egypt, including the Muslim Brotherhood.
"I also called for the release of all political detainees, including President Morsi, unless there are criminal charges to be made against them, and emphasised that it is vital that any charges are not politically motivated."
The European Union's foreign policy chief Baroness Ashton has said deposed Egyptian President Mohamed Mursi was "well" and had access to television and newspapers when she visited him.
She spoke to journalists after meeting Mr Mursi at an undisclosed location last night.
European Union foreign policy chief Cathy Ashton has met ousted Egyptian president Mohamed Morsi and held two hours of "in depth" discussions with him, her spokeswoman, Maja Kocijancic, said.
Supporters of Egypt's ousted president Mohammed Morsi marched towards security headquarters in Cairo on Monday night, raising fears of new clashes as the EU's foreign policy chief met local officials, according to the Agence France Presse agency.
The marches came despite a warning from the National Defence Council late Sunday that it would take "decisive and firm action" against demonstrators if they went beyond their right to peaceful protest.
Al Qaeda claimed has responsibility for raids on two Iraqi prisons and said more than 500 inmates had been set free in the operation.Read the full story ›
Second-in-command of the al-Qaeda in Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) has been confirmed dead, Reuters reports citing an AQAP statement.
Egypt's state news agency reports that an al-Qaeda-linked cell that was planning attacks on the US and French embassies has been caught.
Foreign Secretary William Hague said he "strongly condemns" the terrorist attacks that took place in the Somali capital of Mogadishu, killing at least 19 people.
Mr Hague said in a statement, “We extend our deepest sympathy to the victims and their families. Somalia is emerging from decades of conflict. The actions of terrorists only prolong the suffering of the Somali people".
“The UK and the international community, as we saw at last week’s G8 Foreign Ministers’ meeting, remain committed to helping the people of Somalia achieve peace, security and development", he continued.
"Those responsible for terrorist acts should face justice”, Mr Hague added.
At least 19 people have been killed in the Somali capital in a series of bomb attacks carried out by militants linked to al-Qaeda and in subsequent gun battles.
A bomb exploded outside law courts in Mogadishu as gunmen stormed the compound. Security forces then arrived and battled the fighters inside.
Later, a bomb exploded near an African Union and Turkish Red Crescent convoy on the way to the airport.
The attack has been claimed by al Shabaab - a militant group linked to al-Qaeda.