An island in Norway is to be sliced open in a tribute to the 69 victims of far-right fanatic Anders Behring Breivik's 2011 massacre.
Artist Jonas Dahlberg won a competition to design a memorial to the dead with his idea to cut a 3.5m-wide excavation through the Sobraten island, which is opposite the former holiday island where the killings took place.
Judges said: "The void that is created evokes the sense of sudden loss combined with the long-term missing and remembrance of those who perished.
"The proposal is radical and brave, and evokes the tragic events in a physical and direct manner."
In August 2012, Breivik was jailed for "as long as he is considered dangerous" by a Norwegian court.
Norwegian mass murderer Anders Behring Breivik will study political science modules at the University of Oslo whilst serving his 21-year jail sentence, the BBC reports.
The far-right extremist, 34, will have no direct contact with teaching staff, will not be allowed onto Oslo's campus and will not be awarded a degree.
The University's president said it had been a difficult decision to admit Breivik but all Norwegians citizens had a right to education.
"What it demonstrates is that our values are fundamentally different from his," he said.
Breivik killed 77 people in a bombing and mass shooting in July 2011.
Police are searching the home of a Norwegian neo-Nazi for weapons and explosives, a source told Reuters.
Kristian Vikernes was arrested in France, where he now lives, after his wife bought four rifles.
"That was at the origin of the investigation ... There were several suspicions that made the services fear he could possibly carry out a violent act," a police official confirmed.
A neo-Nazi linked to Norwegian mass killer Anders Behring Breivik has been arrested in southwestern France after his wife bought four rifles, raising suspicions he could turn to violence, according to the Paris prosecutor's office.
Kristian Vikernes, who is also a convicted murderer from Norway, had in the past received a copy of a manifesto from Breivik, the office and media reports said.
Norwegian mass murderer Anders Behring Breivik has released a 27-page letter bemoaning his conditions in prison.
The 33-year-old, who murdered 77 people in 2011, is currently serving a 21-year sentence.
In the letter he bemoaned the "800" strip searches he has had and the fact that he does not enjoy 'enough' social interaction.
According to the New York Times, Breivik is also not satisfied with his three-suite cell - which is fitted with a television and exercise equipment.
Norwegian mass murderer Anders Behring Breivik has written a 27-page letter detailing how he believes his prison conditions "breach his human rights", according to Norwegian newspaper VG.
In the letter Breivik complains his coffee is served cold, he is not given enough butter on his bread, and that he is unable to keep his moisturiser in his cell, which he believes is sparsely decorated and has no view.
33-year-old Breivik, jailed for killing 77 people in a mass shooting on the holiday island of Utoey in July last year, also complains that he is subject to strip searches and is unable to play video games.
Tord Jordet, one of his lawyers, confirmed the letter's authenticity to AFP. He said:
"He is aware that, taken separately, his grievances can seem unimportant, but taken together, they paint a grim picture."
Bruce Springsteen has performed a concert in Oslo to mark the first anniversary of the mass killing in Norway. The bombing in Oslo and shooting at Utoeya Island by Anders Behring Breivik killed 77 people.
Norway has been commemorating the 77 victims of a bomb and gun massacre that outraged the nation a year ago.
Anders Behring Breivik, a 33-year-old far-right fanatic, confessed to the July 22, 2011, attacks: a bombing of the government headquarters in Oslo, killing eight, and a shooting massacre that left 69 dead at the left-wing Labour Party's youth camp on Utoya island.
Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg joined Danish Prime Minister Helle Thorning-Schmidt, survivors and families of victims for a ceremony on Utoya island marking the anniversary.
Eskil Pedersen, the leader of the Workers' Youth League, who survived the attack, led a minute's silence for the victims.
The Norwegian Prime Minister said today that the Utoya massacre and Oslo bombing did not change the values of the country.
In a short speech at a sombre and brief ceremony at the site of the Oslo bomb Jens Stoltenberg said Breivik's massacre, was answered by the Norwegian people embracing their values more. He said:
"The bomb and the gun shots were meant to change Norway. The Norwegian people answered by embracing our values. The perpetrator lost. The people won."
Norway is commemorating the 77 victims of a bomb and gun massacre that shook the peaceful nation one year ago today.
Far-right fanatic Anders Behring Breivik bombed the government headquarters in Oslo and shot 69 young people dead at the left-wing Labour Party's youth camp on Utoya island.
n a wreath-laying ceremony at the bomb site today, prime minister Jens Stoltenberg said Breivik had not succeeded in his declared goal of destroying Norway's commitment to being an inclusive, multicultural society.