Broadcaster Andrew Marr will return full-time to his presenting duties in the autumn following his recovery from a major stroke, the BBC confirmed today.
The 53-year-old, who spent two months in hospital and has undergone months of physiotherapy to help him walk, takes up the helm again on BBC One's Andrew Marr Show from 1 September and will also return to Radio 4's Start the Week later in the year.
Marr said: "I'm hugely looking forward to coming back and want to give it my all but recovering from a stroke does take time."
Broadcaster Andrew Marr has paid tribute to his wife for "saving" his life after he suffered a stroke following an intensive workout on a rowing machine.
Six months after undergoing life-saving treatment, Marr told the Daily Mail:
"Jackie saved my life. Without her, I wouldn't be here. It's partly because she fought for me; she was my tireless advocate in the hospital to get the right treatment".
Marr also said that the experience had brought them "more closely together."
He also acknowledged that he had been overworking and doing too much before his stroke.
"I was trying to do all the physical things I could do when I was 20 years younger - refusing to accept I was now 53 years old".
BBC presenter Andrew Marr has made his first television appearance since suffering a stroke three and a half months ago.
Mr Marr told viewers of his Sunday morning current affairs show that he was "frankly lucky to be alive" after what he had been through.
He said that walking was still difficult and his left arm "isn't much good yet" but his voice and memory were unimpaired.
Mr Marr pre-recorded interviews with the Conservative former Cabinet minister Lord Parkinson and the Labour peer Baroness Kennedy yesterday at Broadcasting House.
The live section of the programme continues to be hosted by guest presenters, with news reader Sophie Raworth standing in today.
Broadcaster Andrew Marr has left hospital almost two months after suffering a stroke.
The BBC said the presenter, who was taken ill on January 8, will continue his rehabilitation at home and is expected to return to work later this year.
A spokeswoman for the corporation said, "Andrew Marr left hospital earlier on today and continues his rehabilitation at home with his family".
"He says thank you to all the wonderful nurses, doctors and physiotherapists at Charing Cross Hospital who have looked after him so well", she continued. "He is looking forward to a new regime of physio at home as he prepares for his return to work later this year".
Marr and his family hope people will allow him to "recover privately", the spokeswoman added.
Broadcaster Andrew Marr is "continuing to make progress" after his stroke, a BBC spokeswoman said.
The Andrew Marr Show opened with the following statement wishing the programme's presenter a speedy recovery.
BBC News' deputy political editor, James Landale, is standing in for Andrew Marr who is recovering from a stroke.
Presenter Andrew Marr is conscious and "responding to medication" following a stroke, the BBC has said.
Marr, who hosts The Andrew Marr Show and Radio 4’s Start The Week, became ill on Tuesday and was rushed to hospital, where he is "continuing to progress".
Dr Hilary spoke to ITV Daybreak about broadcaster Andrew Marr, who is recovering in hospital after suffering a stroke.
He said that ruptured arteries, which can often cause a stroke can happen at any time, to anyone from any age.
Around 150,000 people have a stroke each year in the UK with about a quarter of these in people of working age, according to the Stroke Association.
Its director of communications, Joe Korner, said: