Live updates

Four senior News of the World journalists jailed

Andy Coulson and three other senior journalists from the News of the World newspaper - Greg Miskiw, Neville Thurlbeck and James Weatherup - were sentenced today for being complicit in industrial scale phone-hacking.

Former News of the World News Editor Greg Miskiw. Credit: PA

Former reporter Glenn Mulcaire, the former private investigator tasked with hacking, was given a six-month suspended sentence.

News of the World's former chief reporter Neville Thurlbeck and the paper's ex-news editor Greg Miskiw were jailed for six months.

Other former journalist James Weatherup was given a four-month suspended sentence.

Five defendants in the hacking trial, including former News International chief Rebekah Brooks, were cleared of all charges last week.

Judge: Coulson knew about hacking & encouraged it

In his sentencing remarks, Judge Mr Justice Saunders said Andy Coulson clearly thought it was necessary to use phone hacking to maintain the newspaper's "competitive edge".

And he said the delay in the News of the World telling police about the Milly Dowler voicemail in 2002 showed the motivation was to "take credit for finding her" and sell the maximum number of newspapers.

The judge said: "Mr Coulson has to take the major share of the blame of phone hacking at the NotW. He knew about it, he encouraged it when he should have stopped it."

Advertisement

Spin doctor Andy Coulson faces up to two years in jail

Former Number 10 spin doctor Andy Coulson faces up to two years in jail today when he is sentenced for plotting to hack phones while he was in charge of the News of the World.

Former Number 10 spin doctor Andy Coulson faces up to two years in jail Credit: PA

The 46-year-old father-of-three was found guilty last week of conspiring to intercept voicemails at the now-defunct Sunday tabloid following an eight-month trial at the Old Bailey.

Under his editorship, the NotW was "utterly corrupt" and "became a thoroughly criminal enterprise", according to prosecutor Andrew Edis QC.

Advertisement

MPs warned not to make phone-hacking comments

Former Downing Street director of communications Andy Coulson will stand trial at the Old Bailey next week. Credit: Anthony Devlin/PA Archive/Press Association Images

Politicians at Westminster have been warned not to comment in public on upcoming trials over newspaper phone hacking.

The coming week will see former Downing Street director of communications Andy Coulson and ex-News International chief executive Rebekah Brooks stand trial at the Old Bailey.

The case has been at the centre of political debate for more than two years, but Solicitor General Oliver Heald has acted to counter the risk of commentary prejudicing the proceedings, which are expected to last for several months.

Parliamentary privilege means a politician can theoretically talk about a live case in the House of Commons without fear of prosecution.

Ex-NOTW staff cannot take appeal to Supreme Court

Five defendants, including former News of the World (NOTW) editor Rebekah Brooks and former Government spin doctor Andy Coulson will not be able to take an appeal to the Supreme Court over the prosecution of alleged phone hacking charges, judges ruled today.

The five former NOTW staff lost a last-ditch bid to attempt to block their prosecution over the reported charges.

Lord Chief Justice Lord Judge said the defendants would only pay legal costs if they are convicted.

Judges allow reporting of hacking defendants' names

Court judges have allowed the names of the five defendants involved in the hacking inquiry to be reported today after they lost a bid to block their prosecution over alleged phone hacking.

The former News of the World staff, including Rebekah Brooks and Andy Coulson have denied the charges.

But three appeal court judges, led by Lord Chief Justice Lord Judge, ruled today:

Contrary to the submission on behalf of the appellants, the resulting situation is not lacking in legal certainty.

We can see no possible prejudice to the fairness of the forthcoming trial.

We must not be unrealistic - there can hardly be anyone in the country who does not know to whom this case applies.

Hacking charges denied by former NOTW staff

Former Government spin doctor Andy Coulson and ex-News International chief executive Rebekah Brooks. Credit: ITV News

Five defendants, including former News of the World (NOTW) editors Rebekah Brooks and Andy Coulson have denied conspiracy to intercept mobile phone voicemails between October 3 2000 and August 9 2006.

They had tried to get the case dismissed at the Court of Appeal, arguing that accessing voicemails after they had been listened to by the recipient was not covered by the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000, under which they are charged.

But Lord Chief Justice Lord Judge dismissed their appeals today.

Load more updates