Live updates

Advertisement

Advertisement

Murray withdraws from Wimbledon as his rehabilitation continues

Credit: PA

Andy Murray has announced his withdrawal from Wimbledon on the eve of the tournament.

The two-time champion had been due to play Benoit Paire in the first round on Tuesday and spoke positively about his prospects at a press conference on Saturday, but he has decided best-of-five-set tennis is too demanding at this stage of his comeback from hip surgery.

Murray said in a statement: "It's with regret I'm withdrawing from Wimbledon. I've made significant progress in practice and matches over the last 10 days but, after lengthy discussions with my team and with a heavy heart, we've decided that playing best-of-five-set matches might be a bit too soon in the recovery process.

"We did everything we could to try to be ready in time. I will start practising on the hard courts from tomorrow and continuing with my rehab and recovery and I'm looking forward to the US hard-court season.

"Thanks for all the messages of support and I'm excited to finally be back playing after so long out."

Murray yet to announce if he will play Wimbledon

Murray has surprised everyone with how comfortable he looks on court after injury lay-off. Credit: PA

Andy Murray has yet to announce his decision on whether he will play at Wimbledon, which starts on Monday.

The former world number one, who has played just three matches since returning from a long-term hip injury, said on Wednesday he would "probably" make up his mind before Friday morning's 10am draw.

But the two-time champion made no announcement on Thursday, prompting speculation he could let his name go into the hat for the first-round draw before making up his mind.

When asked on Wednesday if he intended to make a decision before the draw, Murray said: "Yeah, probably. I'll chat with my team.

"Obviously see how I pull up again (on Thursday), but I don't really anticipate any issues.

"With each match I'm trying to gain information about where I'm at physically and where my game is at."

Murray risks upsetting All England Club organisers and fellow players if he opts to delay his decision until after the draw and then pull out before his first-round match.

But the 31-year-old, who had surgery on his right hip in January, would cause less disruption than usual if he takes that option as he has slipped down to 156 in the world rankings and is not seeded for the tournament.

Andy Murray confirms he will return at Queen's Club Championships

Andy Murray is set to return to the court at Queen's Credit: PA

Andy Murray will return to competitive tennis after almost a year out at the Queen's Club next week.

The three-time major winner has not played since last year's Wimbledon due to a hip injury and subsequent surgery.

He practised at Queen's on Friday ahead of next week's Fever-Tree Championships, delayed a decision until Saturday and then told tournament officials he would be there.

"Andy Murray has confirmed that he will play in the Fever-Tree Championships," the tournament said on its official Twitter account.

Load more updates