An anti-racism group has filed a complaint to FIFA over alleged racist chanting towards Rio and Anton Ferdinand by a section of England football fans during last week's World Cup qualifier against San Marino.
The group, Football Against Racism in Europe, filed the complaint after Friday's 8-0 victory in Serraville.
Rio Ferdinand pulled out of the squad because the fixture apparently clashed with his training programme.
It was the first time the Manchester United defender had been selected for the national team since his brother's high-profile racism court battle with former England captain John Terry.
Chelsea boss Roberto Di Matteo either got himself in a pickle or was frustrated with the media so refused to play the press conference game.
Either way, it's understood John Terry has just been fined and remains captain of CFC.
Chelsea manager Roberto Di Matteo has refused to confirm whether John Terry is still club captain:
Terry yesterday decided not to appeal against a four-match ban and a £220,000 fine for racially abusing Anton Ferdinand.
Reading striker Jason Roberts insists he will not wear a 'Kick It Out' T-shirt for the equality group's annual week of action after the racial abuse incidents of the last year.
Roberts told BBC Sport that Kick It Out have not been hardline in their response to the John Terry and Luis Suarez abuse incidents:
"I think people feel let down by what used to be called 'Let's Kick Racism Out of Football'. People don't feel like they have been strong enough."
The player's decision was later criticised by Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson.
"I have to disagree with Jason Roberts. I think he is making the wrong point," the Scot said.
Chelsea have been criticised by football's equality group Kick It Out for keeping their punishment of John Terry secret.
Lord Herman Ouseley, chairman of Kick It Out, said that stance could damage Chelsea in the eyes of those people who had been waiting many months to see how the club handled the case.
Ouseley told the Press Association:
I believe Chelsea need to be open about the action they have taken.
A lot of people will be dissatisfied that Chelsea have not been much more up front about the standards they set and the values they have.
If they are not prepared to say, it will further damage the trust of those people who still have suspicions about Chelsea's sincerity in dealing with this matter.
I do welcome what they have said, but they need to be saying more and doing more if they are going to win back the confidence of people who have lost trust in them rather than to sit back and be silent.
An FA video explaining its policy on social media conduct prohibits the following breaches:
- Any comment about an match officials prior to a game
- Any implication of bias about anyone at any time
- Questioning the integrity of another participant
- Making personal or offensive comments
- Any comment that causes "detriment to the Game"
Former England full-back Graeme Le Saux explains in the video that the FA policy applies to social networks including (but not limited to) Twitter, Facebook and blogs.
England left-back Ashley Cole has been fined £90,000 over his foul-mouthed Twitter attack on the Football Association.
The FA today confirmed the fine after Cole had admitted a charge of making a Twitter comment that was improper and/or brought the game into disrepute.
The Chelsea defender had labelled the FA a "bunch of t***s" on the social networking site after an independent regulatory commission of the governing body investigating the John Terry racial abuse case had cast doubt on Cole's evidence.
John Terry's club Chelsea said it supports its captain's decision not to appeal his FA fine and suspension.
A statement said:
Chelsea Football Club believes John Terry has made the correct decision by not appealing against the FA judgment relating to language he used at the QPR match last October.
Chelsea also appreciates, and supports, John's full apology for the language he used.
The club firmly believes such language is not acceptable and fell below the standards expected of John as a Chelsea player.
The club added that it had also taken its own disciplinary action but the details would remain confidential:
The Board has conducted its own investigation into the matter, and considered the various issues involved. The Board has taken further disciplinary action in addition to the four-match suspension and £220,000 fine imposed by the FA.
In accordance with our long-standing policy, that disciplinary action will remain confidential.
John Terry had until 6pm this evening to contest the sanction issued by an independent Football Association regulatory commission.
His four-match ban means he can return to action against Liverpool on November 11th.
John Terry issued a statement through his management company in which he apologised for the language he used at Loftus Road:
After careful consideration, I have decided not to appeal against the FA judgment.
I want to take this opportunity to apologise to everyone for the language I used in the game against Queens Park Rangers last October.
Although I’m disappointed with the FA judgment, I accept that the language I used, regardless of the context, is not acceptable on the football field or indeed in any walk of life.
As I stated in the criminal case, with the benefit of hindsight my language was clearly not an appropriate reaction to the situation for someone in my position.
My response was below the level expected by Chelsea Football Club, and by me, and it will not happen again.
Looking forward, I will continue to do my part in assisting the club to remove all types of discriminatory behaviour from football.
I am extremely grateful for the consistent support of Chelsea FC, the fans and my family.