Arsene Wenger has rejected claims from Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho that Arsenal have abandoned their cautious transfer approach.
Chelsea manager Mourinho has suggested totting up Arsenal's spending in the last two years leads to a "surprise", resuming his sparring with Gunners boss Wenger.
Mourinho has labelled Arsenal as genuine contenders for this year's Premier League title, before the two teams clash in the Community Shield on Sunday.
Wenger responded by insisting Arsenal spend within their means, and will not fret too much about outside opinions.
"We spend when we think we have to spend and do not listen too much to what people think or say," said Wenger.
"We just try to make the right decisions. When we have the money available, we spend it. When we don't have the money, we don't spend the money we haven't got."
Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho believes Arsenal are in a position to make a serious challenge for the Premier League title.
Arsene Wenger has invested heavily in recent times, which should see them fight it out for top spot, according to Mourinho.
"If you add up the amounts clubs have spent in the last three or four years I think maybe you will find a surprise," Mourinho, who allowed goalkeeper Petr Cech to join Arsenal in an £11million deal last month, said in the Guardian.
"If you put Ozil plus Alexis Sanchez, plus Chambers, plus Debuchy, you will find a surprise.
"It's a fantastic squad with good players, fantastic goalkeeper, they are more than ready to be a title contenders."
Arsene Wenger has dismissed comments made by Lord Harris that Arsenal could buy virtually any player in the worldRead the full story ›
Arsenal director Lord Harris has hinted Arsene Wenger could break the club's transfer record to bring in a strikerRead the full story ›
Bayern Munich have reached an agreement with Italy's Juventus to sign Chile international midfielder Arturo Vidal, the German club's CEO Karl Heinz Rummenigge confirmed on Thursday.
"I can confirm that we have with both parties, Juventus and the player, reached an agreement. What is missing is the medical and the signature of the contract," Rummenigge told reporters during the team's trip to China.
Vidal, no stranger to the Bundesliga having played for Bayer Leverkusen for four seasons until 2011, has won four straight Italian league titles and helped Juventus reach the Champions League final last season, where they lost to Barcelona.
The 28-year-old could join up with his Bayern team mates as early as next week, Rummenigge said.
"If everything goes according to plan, he can start training next week," he added, without giving details of a fee or length of contract for the versatile Chilean.
Vidal is set to become Bayern's second major signing of the transfer window after Brazilian attacking midfielder Douglas Costa joined the club at the start of July.
Arsene Wenger says he's not even thinking about retirement as he doesn't 'have horses' like Sir Alex FergusonRead the full story ›
Man United are poised to sign Barcelona forward Pedro, the Spanish publication El Confidencial is claimingRead the full story ›
A room packed full of Arsenal fans in Singapore erupted with laughter on Sunday after a joke from Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain.
The England midfielder was asked which all-time Gunners legend he would bring back into the current team.
Chamberlain grabbed the microphone during the press conference and replied: "Nicklas Bendtner."
Danish striker Bendtner left Arsenal for Wolfsburg in 2014 and while he was never short on confidence during his spell at the club, he never managed to score more than nine league goals in one season.
Get all the latest transfer rumours as Arsenal look to bolster their forward lineRead the full story ›
Arsenal forward Theo Walcott is keen to extend his stay with the Gunners, but is taking a relaxed view to contract negotiations.
Walcott, who joined the north London club in 2006 when he was 16-years-old, believes Arsene Wenger's side could be on the verge of something special after his goal helped them secure back-to-back FA Cup triumphs in May.
The 26-year-old, who last penned a three-and-a-half-year deal 18 months ago, is planning to just focus on his football and getting a full pre-season under his belt.
"My agent has talked to the club, I enjoy playing for this club so I am just letting them crack on with things and I'll continue playing football," Walcott told several national newspapers.
"We'll just play the waiting game and see what happens but I'm sure it won't be long. This squad, for me, is one of the best I've been involved in. I want to be part of that."
When asked if he would be happy to let any talks carry on beyond the start of the new campaign, he said: "Definitely. It's not in my thought process at all. You don't want to dwell on it, you want to play well and if it happens it happens.
"I won't let that delay the way I'm going to be playing this season. I can't let that affect me, I want to do well for this club."