Live updates

Parents 'delighted' at Deepcut inquest ruling

The family of Cheryl James say they are relieved at the Attorney General's decision to allow them permission to apply for a fresh inquest into the death of their daughter.

Pte James was one of four soldiers who died at Deepcut barracks in Surrey between 1995 and 2002.

We're relieved and delighted by the Attorney General's decision.

It's truly an emotional day - it's been a long and painful process, with so many hurdles, but we never considered giving up.

Cheryl had her whole life in front of her; when our young people lose their lives serving their country, not only do they deserve a full and independent investigation into their deaths, it must be their absolute right.

We may now finally achieve a meaningful inquiry into her death and we hope it brings about real change for future recruits.

– Des and Doreen James, parents of Pte James

Grieve: New Deepcut inquest 'in the interests of justice'

Private James' parents, backed by Human Rights campaign group Liberty, called for a fresh inquest into her death, lodging an application with the Attorney General for consent to apply to the High Court for one.

Today a spokesman for Dominic Grieve said he had granted his consent.

The spokesman said:

The application was made to the Attorney General on the basis that the original inquest made insufficient enquiry into the circumstances of her death and because new evidence is now available that was not put before the inquest in December 1995.

The Attorney General granted his consent because he concluded that it was in the interests of justice for the application for a new inquest to go forward and to be heard by the High Court.

– Attorney General spokesman

Advertisement

One-punch victim's mother 'relieved' by decision

The mother of Andrew Young, who was killed by Lewis Gill earlier this year, said she is "relieved" by a decision today to refer Gill's four-and-a-half-year sentence to the Court of Appeal for being unduly lenient.

Pamela Young, pictured in an interview with ITV News Central in February. Credit: ITV News Central

“I am hoping that the sentence will be extended so that somebody will have a chance to get through to him [Gill], appeal to his heart and mind, and show him the error of his ways”, she told the Dorset Echo.

One punch killer's sentence to go before appeal judges

A spokeswoman for the Attorney General's Office said the sentence will be referred to the Court of Appeal, where three judges will decide whether or not the sentence is unduly lenient.

She said:

Having carefully reviewed this case, the Attorney General, Dominic Grieve QC MP, has decided to refer the sentence of Lewis Gill to the Court of Appeal for review.

The case will in due course be heard by three Court of Appeal judges who will decide whether they should increase the sentence.

Victim's mother branded 4-year sentence 'a joke'

Andrew Young, 40, died after being struck in the unprovoked attack by Lewis Gill, 20, in Bournemouth, Dorset, on November 6 last year.

A chilling video of the assault was released by police.

Andrew Young sustained a serious head injury and later died at Southampton Hospital. Credit: Dorset Police

Andrew's mother spoke of her outrage after Gill was given a four-and-a-half-year jail sentence for the punch that killed her son.

“I saw the CCTV footage in court and you can see that Andrew didn’t cause Lewis Gill any harm," said Pamela Young, 71. "The sentence is an absolute joke."

One punch killer's sentence could be 'unduly lenient'

Lewis Gill, who killed Asperger's sufferer Andrew Young with a single punch in Bournemouth earlier this year, is to see his four-and-a-half-year jail sentence for manslaughter referred to the Court of Appeal for being unduly lenient, the Attorney General's Office said today.

Andrew Young sustained a serious head injury and later died at Southampton Hospital. Credit: Dorset Police

Advertisement

Guardian: Wrong to block release of Charles' letters

A Guardian journalist accused the Attorney General Dominic Grieve of failing to show "reasonable grounds" for blocking the release of letters sent by Prince Charles to government ministers.

The High Court today ruled that Grieve's use of a ministerial veto to stop the letters being published was unlawful but the Attorney General said he will "pursue an appeal."

The public has a right to know if the heir to the throne is advocating policy or promoting causes to government ministers.

We welcome today's appeal court judgment finding that it was wrong to block the release of the letters.

We hope the Attorney General will recognise he has reached the end of the legal road and that government departments will now publish the correspondence so that the public can judge for themselves.

– A Guardian News & Media spokesperson
Load more updates