Live updates

Boy, 14, charged over Australia Anzac day terror plot

A 14-year-old boy has been charged in connection with a terrorism plot in Australia.

Deborah Walsh, deputy head of counter terrorism at the Crown Prosecution Service, said that following an investigation by police in the North West Counter Terrorism Unit, the youth has been charged with two offences of inciting terrorism overseas, under the Terrorism Act.

In a statement, Ms Walsh said: "The first allegation is that, between March 15-26 2015, the defendant incited another person to commit an act of terrorism, namely to carry out an attack at an Anzac parade in Australia with the aim of killing and/or causing serious injury to people."

The defendant will appear at Westminster Magistrates' Court tomorrow.

Advertisement

British Police travel to Australia over alleged terror plot

Detective Chief Superintendent Tony Mole from the North West Counter Terrorism Unit

British Police have travelled to Australia as investigations continue into an alleged terror plot in the country.

Detective Chief Superintendent Tony Mole, from the North West Counter Terrorism Unit said the team would work with police in Australia to investigate the alleged plot.

It comes as a a 14-year-old boy arrested in Blackburn remains in police custody on suspicion of preparing for an act of terrorism in relation to an alleged plot in Australia.

Teenager arrested earlier on suspicion of preparing for act of terror

A Blackburn teenager who is being questioned in connection with a terror plot in Australia was first arrested earlier this month on suspicion of preparing for an act of terrorism, police said.

Officers uncovered communication between a teenager in Blackburn and a man in Australia and the information was subsequently passed to Australian authorities, Greater Manchester Police said.

A force spokesman said the teenager was first arrested on April 2 on suspicion of preparing for an act of terrorism under Section 5 of the Terrorism Act 2006.

The arrest followed examination of a number of electronic devices and a search of an address in the town.

On Saturday April 18, he was further arrested on suspicion of being concerned in the commission, preparation or instigation of acts of terrorism, and is currently being questioned by police in custody.

Teenager's communications 'showed credible terror threat'

A teenage boy arrested over an alleged link to a suspected Anzac day terror plot had been communicating with a man in Australia, police say.

Police examined electronic devices before raiding an address in Blackburn, Lancashire.

Detective Chief Superintendent Tony Mole, from the North West Counter Terrorism Unit (NWCTU), said: “We have uncovered communication between an individual in the North West and a man in Australia to what we believe is a credible terrorist threat.

“As soon as this information came to light we acted quickly with the relevant authorities here and abroad and this has resulted with officers from the NWCTU arresting a teenager."

He added that there was no evidence of an imminent threat to the UK.

Advertisement

Teenager charged over failed Anzac Day terror plot

Sevdet Besim was one of five teenagers arrested by police in Australia. Credit: Reuters

A teenager has been charged with planning an IS-inspired terror plot in Australia on next week's Anzac Day.

Sevdet Besim was one of five teenagers arrested over the foiled plot which he allegedly planned to carry out during an event to mark the centenary of the landings at Gallipoli in WWI.

Police in Melbourne have released three of the teens while one remains in custody.

Besim was refused bail and will appear in court on Friday, Australian media reported.

UK police review security plans after Australia arrests

The Metropolitan Police are reviewing their security plans for Anzac day events in the UK following a string of counter-terrorism arrests in Australia.

Deputy Assistant Commissioner Neil Basu said the move was a "sensible precaution" to ensure ensure the events are "safe and secure for the public and police officers".

"While there is no information to suggest a specific threat to related events in the UK - and the current UK threat level remains unchanged - the public should remain vigilant," he said.

Harry midway through attachment with Australian Army

Harry shakes hands with Russel Smith during a visit to the Wuggubun community in Western Australia.

Prince Harry has completed the first two weeks of an attachment with the Australian army, as his British military career nears its end.

Harry has been participating in day-to-day soldiering activitis and physical training alongside the 1st Brigade, and has also undergone flight simulation training.

Prince Harry passes the ball during a game of wheelchair AFL at the Soldier Recover Centre in Darwin. Credit: CPL Oliver Carter/Australian Defence Force/PA Wire

His attachment has also included time in an armed reconnaissance helicopter, and after meeting with wounded and, injured and ill soldiers he joined in a game of wheelchair Australian Football League.

He also met with members of the Wuggubun community during time on duty with the North-West Mobile Force in western Australia.

Harry, a captain in the Army, will continue his four-week attachment with the Australian Defence Force after Gallipoli commemorations in Turkey, before leaving the British military after ten years' service.

Australian PM: Terror plot to 'attack police officers'

Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott has said that an "Isis-inspired terror plot" was believed to involve "attacks against police officers on Anzac Day".

He said: "There were a series of raids in metropolitan Melbourne. Five people were arrested. We are expecting three to be charged. Two will be charged with preparing a terrorist act. The act that we believe was in preparation involved attacks against police officers on Anzac Day."

Load more updates