Live updates

Advertisement

Austria attack had no terrorist motive, police say

The vehicle is shown after the incident in Graz, Austria's second largest city. Credit: AP

A man who killed three people while driving his car into a crowded Austrian shopping street is not suspected to have had a terrorist motive, police in the country say.

A 26-year-old male truck driver of Bosnian origin was arrested after the attack in Graz, with police saying he was known to them for domestic violence.

Officials said they believed family problems were behind the rampage.

Eyewitnesses told public broadcaster ORF that the SUV the man drove into the crowd had been travelling at around 60 miles-per-hour.

Austria: 'Man arrested' after van driven into crowd

The aftermath of the incident in Graz, Austria. Credit: AP

A man has been arrested after a van was driven into a crowd in the Austrian town of Graz.

The incident left at least three people dead and injured 34 others, police said.

Reports indicated that a child was among those killed.

Austrian broadcaster ORF cited witnesses at the scene who said the vehicle was ploughed into the crowd at random.

Advertisement

British soldier charged with raping six-year-old in Austria

A British soldier arrested on suspicion of raping a six-year-old girl in Austria has been charged, prosecutors have said.

The unnamed soldier, reportedly a bombardier from 7th Parachute Regiment Royal Horse Artillery in Essex, was also charged with sexually abusing the young girl.

Prosecutors said the soldier entered the house in Neustift, in the Stubaital valley, Austria, early one morning Credit: Google Maps

Prosecutors in the country said he had entered the family's unlocked home in the small town of Neustift, in the Stubaital valley in the early hours of one morning and was caught the girl's bedroom by her father, who had been woken by the noise.

He will face trial on March 10 and, if convicted, faces up to 10 years in prison.

A Ministry of Defence spokeswoman confirmed the Army was aware of the developments.

The Army is aware that a soldier has been charged in Austria following allegations of child sexual offences.

This matter is now subject to criminal proceedings led by the Austrian authorities and it is therefore inappropriate for us to comment further at this time.

– Ministry of Defence spokeswoman

Conchita Wurst steals show at Aids research benefit

Conchita Wurst stole the show at Europe's biggest charity event, despite plenty of big-name competition. Party-goers dressed in little more than body paint rubbed shoulders with men in tuxedoes and cross-dressers in wild costumes, transforming Vienna's City Hall into a fantasy land.

The occasion, Europe's biggest charity event, was serious - raising money for AIDS research.

Eurovision Song Contest winner Conchita Wurst performs on stage during the opening ceremony of the 22nd Life Ball in Vienna Credit: Reuters

"I feel so poorly dressed," quipped a black-suited Bill Clinton, glancing down from the stage at the feather boas, fantastic head-dresses and exotic outfits among the 4,000 or so ball goers.

The former president urged all attending not to forget what lies behind "all the joy of this evening: the determination of every person ... here to give every child a better chance".

Former U.S. President Bill Clinton (R) and organizer Gery Keszler Credit: Reuters
Singer Ricky Martin performs on stage Credit: Reuters
Load more updates