Live updates


Eleven suspected militants killed in Bangladesh raids

Security personnel conduct a police operation on the outskirts of Dhaka, Bangladesh, in July Credit: Reuters

Security forces in Bangladesh have killed at least 11 suspected militants in three raids as part of a crackdown against Islamic extremists.

Home minister Asaduzzaman Khan said the raids took place on Saturday morning in Gazipur, outside the capital Dhaka, and in the central district of Tangail.

The suspects were allegedly members of the banned group Jumatul Mujahedeen Bangladesh.

Firearms, bullets and meat cleavers were found during the raids.

The government has intensified its crackdown on suspected militants in the country following an attack at a Dhaka restaurant on July 1 left 20 hostages dead, including 17 foreigners.


Police may have shot hostage 'by mistake' in Dhaka attack

Bangladesh police have said security forces may have mistakenly shot dead a hostage during the Dhaka restaurant attack, believing he was an attacker.

Saiful Islam, a senior police official in Dhaka, said Saiful Islam Chowkidar, a pizza maker at the Holey Artisan restaurant, was among six men who were killed when officers stormed the eatery to end a 12-hour siege.

Security personnel kept watch after gunmen stormed the Holey Artisan restaurant. Credit: Reuters

Twenty people, mostly foreigners, were killed when militants attacked the popular restaurant in the capital city on Friday night.

During the attack, which has been claimed by the so-called Islamic State militant group, several gunmen took a number of hostages, and reportedly tortured and killed those who could not recite verses from the Qu'ran.

Thirteen hostages were saved after police launched a rescue operation.

Police had tried to arrest five of cafe gunmen before attack

Tributes are left to the victims of the attack. Credit: Reuters

Authorities in Bangladesh had previously tried to arrest five of the gunmen involved in the Dhaka cafe attack.

Deputy Inspector General of Police Shahidur Rahman said that the attackers were mostly educated and from well-off families.

The 12 hour siege ended with police killing six of the gunmen. A seventh man was arrested, but authorities said that he is only a suspect and they are not sure of his role in the attack.

Load more updates