Live updates

Bangladesh cafe attack targeted citizens of 'crusader countries'

People react near the Holey Artisan restaurant after Islamist militants attacked the cafe. Credit: Reuters

So-called Islamic State has claimed responsibility for the attack on a Bangladesh cafe, saying it was targeting the citizens of "crusader countries".

The statement was circulated by supporters of the extremist group following the attack in the country's capital, Dhaka, which left 20 dead.

It is not yet clear if the leadership of so-called Islamic State in Iraq and Syria was involved in the planning of the attack. The group has previously claimed attacks carried out by so-called lone wolf attackers with no known connection to the group.

Advertisement

IS says it targeted foreigners in Bangladesh attack

The Islamic State have claimed responsibility for the attack on a cafe in the capital Dhaka, the Associated Press reports.

The group said it targeted foreigners in the attack, reports say.

Bangladesh will stand up and fight, says Prime Minister

Bangladesh's Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina. Credit: Reuters

Bangladesh will stand up and fight the "terror threat" that has mushroomed in its backyard, the country's prime minister has said.

In a live television broadcast, Sheikh Hasina said the country stood "committed and determined" to uphold its freedom, and announced two days of national mourning in the wake of a deadly Islamist militant attack on an upmarket restaurant in Bangladesh's capital Dhaka.

Nine Italians killed in Bangladesh siege, minister says

Army soldiers patrol near the Holey Artisan restaurant in Dhaka after the attack. Credit: Reuters

Nine Italians were among 20 foreign nationals killed in Friday's attack by suspected Islamist militants at a cafe in Bangladesh, Italy's foreign minister has said.

Security forces stormed the restaurant in Dhaka and ended a 12-hour standoff on Saturday, killing six gunmen.

"We have identified nine (Italians) killed, there is another person who is missing and could be hiding himself or could be among wounded people ... we are looking for him," Foreign Minister Paolo Gentiloni told reporters.

Advertisement

Load more updates