Burned out and defaced vehicles and rubbish-strewn streets have been left in central Brussels after violent clashes erupted as more than 100,000 protesters marched against austerity measures.
Vehicles have been overturned and set alight as a peaceful anti-austerity demonstration through Brussels involving more than 100,000 protesters erupted into violence.
Riot police fired water cannons to repel the demonstrators, who had taken to the streets in opposition to cuts introduced by the new Belgian government.
The Duke of Cambridge has paid tribute to the Belgian people for their "courageous resistance" in the First World War, as he gave a speech in Liege marking the 100th anniversary of the start of the war.
He said: "Among the very first victims [of WW1] were the people of Belgium whose resistance was as gallant as their suffering was great.
"The magnificent war memorial where we gather today honours the city of Liege and its people for their courageous resistance in 1914.
"The memorial and this ceremony also honours all Belgians who fought, suffered and died in the Great War".
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are attending a commemorative First World War ceremony in Liege, Belgium.
The event is marking the 1914 invasion of neutral Belgium, which led to Britain declaring war on Germany.
The French man held over the killing three people at the Jewish Museum in Brussels had recently returned from Syria, where he had joined jihadist groups, officials said.
ITV News Correspondent Claire Stewart reports:
The man arrested in France on suspicion of killing three people at Brussels' Jewish Museum has been carrying a Kalashnikov wrapped in a flag with the inscriptions of a militant Islamist group, prosecutors said.
Mehdi Nemmouche, carried the flag of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL), an ultra-conservative militant group reconstituted from an earlier incarnation of al Qaeda and active in Syria and Iraq.
The 29-year-old Frenchman is said to have returned recently from fighting with Islamist militant rebels in Syria, prosecutors said.
The 29-year-old Frenchman arrested over the fatal shooting of three people at Brussels' Jewish Museum, has admitted to the killings, authorities said.
Mehdi Nemmouche is said to have admitted to the shooting in a video recording he was carrying while arrested in France.
"(In the video) he states that he committed the attack in Brussels against the Jews," Belgian federal prosecutor Frederic Van Leeuw said at a press conference.
The 29-year-old Frenchman arrested over the fatal shooting of three people at Brussels' Jewish Museum was radicalised during the last of his five stays in jail in France, a prosecutor said.
"During his last stay in jail he was noticed for extremist (Islamic) proselytism," Paris prosecutor Francois Molins said.
He said that the suspect, Mehdi Nemmouche, travelled to Syria only three weeks after he was freed in December 2012.
French media have reported that the man arrested over the Jewish Museum shootings in Brussels, was suspected of having visited jihadist groups in Syria in 2013.
Joel Rubinfeld, head of the Belgian League against Antisemitism, told of their concerns over the Syrian visit:
This is a relief.
But this is also worrying us ... it is is crucial that countries who have citizens who have gone to Syria, take all necessary measures to make sure this does not happen again.
French police have arrested a 29-year-old man suspected of being involved in the shooting deaths last weekend of three people at Brussels' Jewish Museum, official sources in Belgium and France said on Sunday.
The Frenchman was arrested in the southern French city of Marseilles on Friday and had a Kalashnikov and another gun with him, a French police source said.
The man, from the northern city of Roubaix, had been in jail in 2012.