Singer Alicia Keys has tweeted that she is 'excited' about he new role as Global Creative Director at Blackberry:
Along with the the BlackBerry 10 operating system, the Z10 touchscreen phone and Q10, the first BlackBerry smartphone with a Qwerty keyboard, were launched at an event in New York that was beamed live to venues around the world.
The Z10 features:
- 4.2”, 4 point multi-touch LCD display, 1280 x 768 resolution at 356 DPI
- 2 GB RAM, 16 GB Flash, Hot Swappable MicroSD slot
- Dual Core 1.5 GHz processor
- up to 10 hours of battery life on 3G
- 8 MP rear facing camera
- Bluetooth and WiFi
The Blackberry 10 will feature a new map application featuring 2D maps and 3D turn-by-turn directions. The maps were put together by another company, and will feature traffic information from TomTom.
The map content is vector-based which the company says, "is very compact and results in smaller downloads. It also allows for faster rendering when you zoom in and out."
TomTom also provided information for the now infamous Apple Maps which left the technology company red faced and forced Apple CEO Tim Cook to apologise to customers after a barrage of complaints when the iPhone moved away from Google Maps.
The Blackberry 10 will go on sale in the UK before anywhere else in the world. It will be available from tomorrow.
One new feature of the Blackberry 10 is the 'TimeShift' adjustment tool on the camera. It allows users to select the frame the camera uses for the shot to ensure the best possible photo.
This can also be done in pictures with several people in the frame as individual faces can be selected before the frame is shifted.
Some of the new features on the Blackberry 10 include:
- The new Blackberry Messenger enables video calling
- The new handset will also enable users to multitask, meaning up to 8 apps can run simultaneously.
- Users are able to share their screen over BBM. Allowing business workers to share and view spreadsheets etc while video chatting.
- The Blackberry 10 has secure work and personal profiles. Companies will be able to set security rules on work. Individual installs apps on the personal profile.
- The Blackberry 10 also features a touchscreen keyboard - a move away from previous models which relied on an actual keyboard below the screen.
During the launch of their newest handsets mobile phone maker Research In Motion (RIM) has announced that it will unify its brand image and be known from now on as 'Blackberry'.
Chief executive Thorsten Heins is reported to have said at the unveiling of the new Blackberry 10 phone, that there will now be, "one consistent brand that is recognised around the world."
BlackBerry has announced the launch of its revamped BlackBerry World - formerly known as BlackBerry App World.
It will allow users to download film, TV shows and music - and looks to rival Google Play and Apple's iTunes.
"Music and video content is an integral part of a rich mobile experience", said Frank Boulben, Chief Marketing Officer at BlackBerry owners Research In Motion (RIM).
"People want easy and convenient access to their favourite music, movies and TV shows wherever they are."