Hotpoint has issued a national safety notice in relation to dishwasher models FDW20, FDW60 and DW65A after it was discovered 71,000 were a potential fire hazard.
Martin Squires' Hotpoint dishwasher caught fire last July - before a safety notice was issued by the company about faulty models.Read the full story ›
Michelle Gorringe-Smith, Marketing Director, Hotpoint, has spoken to ITV News about the safety notice issued in relation to dishwasher models FDW20, FDW60 and FDW65A.
She said that after discovering there may be a particular issue: "It did take us six months to really piece that jigsaw together and to identify the real repair that was required but as soon as we did our priority was to contact our customers.”
A Norfolk couple have described how a blaze at their home was caused by a faulty dishwasher as they waited for a visit from an engineer
Marga Kapenaar and her husband Derek have told how they came close to death as a result of the fire which claimed the lives of their four pet dogs.
ITV News' Consumer Editor Chris Choi reports.
The Electrical Safety Council is a UK charity dedicated to keeping people safe by reducing the risk of electrical accidents around the home and in the work place.
They have created a tool that allows people to quickly check if their electrical items are subject to recall notices. This is available at www.esc.org.uk/recall
A Norfolk couple have described how a blaze at their home was caused by a faulty dishwasher as they waited for a visit from an engineer.Read the full story ›
Hotpoint has issued an important safety notice after it was discovered 71,000 of its dishwashers were a potential fire hazard.Read the full story ›
Dorset Fire and Rescue Service's fire officer Stuart Granger said the blaze caused by a faulty dishwasher in a house today could have been "an absolute tragedy."
ITV News has reported on the dangers of faulty white goods in homes despite a national recall and a faulty Bosch dishwasher caused a fire in the early hours of this morning.
Mr Granger said: "They (faulty dishwashers) do pose quite a significant risk. We are starting to see quite a few of these fires occurring, maybe through better awareness, but even so they are occurring.
"If they (the people involved in today's fire) didn't have an escape plan and didn't have smoke detectors, there is a good chance we could be looking at an absolute tragedy in that house overnight."
We have not stated that affected machines are OK to use unattended.
If customers have any questions there is an FAQ section on www.repairaction.co.uk.
The risk of potential fire is low and as customers use their machines very differently we would recommend them to use common sense, and in line with the appliance user guide/handbook.
If consumers believe that they have one of the affected models, they should call the helpline at 0800 0234881 or visit www.repairaction.co.uk to schedule a free repair.