Live updates

Joshua insists there is more to come after winning title

Johsua eased past Martin. Credit: PA

Anthony Joshua insisted he is not yet satisfied at becoming the IBF heavyweight champion and revealed he was more excited at securing his title shot than winning the title itself.

The 26-year-old clinically stopped defending champion Charles Martin in the second round of only his 16th professional fight to win the IBF heavyweight title and, just miles from where he won his Olympic gold medal in 2012, to take a significant step towards fulfilling his considerable potential.

Joshua could be seen discreetly celebrating the first of the second-round knockdowns, in the belief that he had already finished the fight, and threw a similarly-powerful right hand to secure victory shortly after America's Martin met the first count.

His profile will grow further and make him one of boxing's greatest assets, but amid plans for him to make his first title defence on July 9 - the same night WBA and WBO champion Tyson Fury's rematch with Wladimir Klitschko is scheduled - and possibly at Wembley Stadium, Joshua said: "Getting there is one thing, now maintaining it will be harder so I need to be a bit more disciplined.

"We've got more to go. Probably when I retire I will be happy but as I'm still fighting, I've got to put this behind me.

"Yeah (I was more excited at getting the fight). I'm happy I got the fight, we developed a different level of stamina, composure. A new level of man was born.

"I knew 100 per cent (it was over after the first knockdown). I know not to rush in, and I know if I've got enough power to hurt him once, if I keep my shape and keep on doing the same things to hurt him first time, I just knew I'd be able to get to him sooner or later."

Advertisement

Fury to announce rematch with Klitschko

Tyson Fury is set to take on Wladimir Klitschko again. Credit: PA

Boxer Tyson Fury is set for a rematch with Wladimir Klitschko in Manchester on July 9, his father has confirmed.

Fury beat the Ukrainian last year to win the WBA Super, WBO and IBF heavyweight crowns in Dusseldorf.

Boxer Nick Blackwell wakes from coma

Nick Blackwell was placed in an induced coma following his fight with Chris Eubank Jr. Credit: Reuters

Middleweight boxer Nick Blackwell woke from his induced coma on Saturday and was talking to family and close friends on Sunday, his promoters Hennessy Sports have said.

Blackwell came round on Saturday and was able to speak to those closest to him on Sunday.

Blackwell with his brother Dan and friend Jake. Credit: Hennessy Sports

It was the outcome everyone had been hoping and praying for; Nick had won his toughest fight yet.

On behalf of Nick, his family, and very close friends, we'd like to thank everyone for their continued support and well-wishes. It has been overwhelming at times and has certainly not gone unnoticed.

Nick Blackwell won the hearts of over three million (television) viewers on March 26 with an astonishing display of all-action bravery and determination.

In the past week, however, he has humbled millions more. He's a fighter. He's a warrior. He's a true champion and gentleman.

– Hennessy Sports Management

Nick Blackwell was put into an induced coma following a British middleweight title bout with Chris Eubank Jr, which was stopped in the 10th round. His opponent in that fight has sent the following message on his Instagram account:

Sorry, this content isn't available on your device.

Team Eubank said in a statement:

We are relieved and delighted that Nick Blackwell is awake and talking. We have been thinking about him, and his recovery, every day and wishing him well.

When he is feeling up to it and with the agreement of his family, Chris Snr and Jnr would like to visit Nick in hospital.

– Team Eubank

Advertisement

Load more updates