A nine-year-old boy and his uncle narrowly cheated death when they were sucked into a flooded storm drain - but managed to escape unscathed.Read the full story ›
A Brazilian woman has claimed that her bra saved her life after she was hit by a stray bullet.Read the full story ›
Former Brazil striker Ronaldo may be set to come out of retirement to play for American second division club Fort Lauderdale Strikers.
The 38-year-old World-Cup winner took part-ownership in the North American Soccer League side last month and is reportedly now aiming to get fit enough to make a comeback.
The Strikers will formally introduce Ronaldo in a press conference on Thursday at 8pm when he is expected to clarify his playing ambitions.
The former Real Madrid, Barcelona and Inter Milan forward won two World Cups in 1994 and 2002, scoring eight times in the latter to claim the Golden Boot Award.
He was also named FIFA World Player of the Year in 1996, 1997 and 2002. Ronaldo is not the first high-profile player to join the Strikers, with Gordon Banks, Gerd Muller and George Best also taking roles with the club in the past.
"I will be very involved with the management of the team and have already started to make introductions that will certainly help us to turn the Strikers into a global powerhouse," Ronaldo told the Strikers website in December.
"There are no doubts that the beautiful game is growing exponentially in the US, and I guarantee you that the NASL will play a key role in the rise of professional soccer here."
Sailson Jose das Graças confessed to killing 42 people after he was arrested in Rio de Janeiro.Read the full story ›
Brazilian football legend Pele has said he "is doing fine" as he attempted to play down concerns over his health.
The 74-year-old also denied reports that he had been placed in intensive care.
Hello everyone, I want to take this opportunity to let you know that I am doing fine.
I was not put into intensive care today, I was simply relocated to a special room within the hospital for privacy purposes only.
While I appreciate all the visitors that came to see me, I really need to continue my treatment and recovery in peace.
Football legend Pele has been moved to a quieter special care unit to receive treatment away from fans after being admitted to a Brazilian hospital with a urinary tract infection.
The Albert Einstein Hospital in Sao Paulo said the 74-year-old had suffered "clinical instability" but provided no more details of his condition.
Football legend Pele's aide says the former player is 'completely fine', after reports he had been moved to an intensive care unit, after being admitted in hospital due to a urinary infection..
Jose Fornos Rodrigues told Reuters that Pele was moved for the sake of privacy.
"He was uncomfortable with so many people coming. It'll be quieter now," Rodrigues said.
Brazilian football legend Pele is reportedly in intensive care at a hospital in Sao Paulo.
Pele was admitted for a urinary tract infection and has since undergone surgery to remove kidney stones, but his condition is now worsening, according to reports.
A statement released to Brazilian press stated: "The Hospital Israelita Albert Einstein said that the Edson Arantes do Nascimento patient (Pele) was admitted with clinical instability.
"To receive the best care, he was transferred to be monitored in a special care unit."
Brazilian police killed six people every day over a five-year period – totalling more than 11,000 deaths between 2009 and 2013, a report has claimed.
The study, by the Brazilian Forum on Public Safety, states that officers in the country killed more in just five years than police in the US had over a 30-year timespan, in what it labelled “unacceptable standards” revealing systematic “police victimisation”.
The annual report – which also reveals black people were 30.5 per cent more likely to be killed – accused the force of “abusive use of lethal force” when responding to crime and violence.
It suggested that 143,000 rapes were committed in the country in 2013, only a third of which were reported, and said the “crisis in public safety” had cost the economy more than 250 billion Brazilian Real (£61bn) last year alone.
A security guard in Brazil could be one of the world's most prolific serial killers after allegedly confessing to murdering 39 people.Read the full story ›