Live updates

Brazil team doctor: Neymar injured for 'a few weeks'

Brazil forward Neymar has been ruled out of the World Cup after fracturing his vertebrae in the closing stages of the 2-1 quarter-final win over Colombia on Friday, his team said.

Brazil team doctor: Neymar injured for 'a few weeks' Credit: PA

"It's not serious in the sense that it doesn't need surgery, but he'll need to immobilise it to recover," team doctor Rodrigo Lasmar said after the player had been taken to hospital.

"Unfortunately, he's not going to be able to play," he said, adding he expected the recovery period to take at least a few weeks."

Read: Brazil striker Neymar ruled out of World Cup

Advertisement

Scolari: Neymar was 'hunted' during World Cup

Brazil manager Scolari claimed that striker Neymar has been "hunted" during the World Cup.

I think Neymar won't be able to play. Everyone knows he's going to be hunted, for three matches that has been happening.

We are in a situation which is very difficult for the match against Germany.

We are not very hopeful, if we are able to beat Germany it might be he can play in the final.

He has been sent to a private clinic for a serious of exams as he was kneed on his lower back and was crying out with pain.

I can guarantee it won't be easy for him to recover based on what the doctor told us and the pain he is in.

– Brazil manager Scolari

Read: Brazil striker Neymar ruled out of World Cup

Brazil beat Colombia to seal place in semi-finals

Thiago Silva scored Brazil's first goal early in the match. Credit: PA

Brazil sealed a hard-fought 2-1 win against Colombia in Fortaleza to book a place in the semi-finals of the World Cup.

Thiago Silva's tap-in and a spectacular David Luiz free-kick put Brazil 2-0 up before a James Rodriquez penalty ensure a nervy finale for the hosts.

But Luiz Felipe Scolari's side held on and will play Germany - who beat France 1-0 in the day's other quarter-final - in the last four.

More: Brazil scrape through in dramatic World Cup shoot-out

Fifa grandee's son in World Cup ticket scandal

The son of a Fifa grandee has become embroiled in a World Cup ticket scandal.

Humberto Grondona, the son of Argentina's senior Fifa vice-president Julio Grondona, has admitted to selling on tickets to a friend contrary to the world governing body's regulations.

Julio Grondona, Argentina's senior Fifa vice-president.
Julio Grondona, Argentina's senior Fifa vice-president. Credit: Maxi Failla/Press Association Images

The tickets were among those seized by Brazilian police as part of a ticket touting investigation which led to the arrests of 11 people.

Fifa's head of media Delia Fischer would not comment on the investigation, but said that if anyone was found to have breached regulations they would face disciplinary action.

Advertisement

Brazil flyover collapse death toll confirmed as two

Two people have now died after a flyover collapsed in the Brazilian city of Belo Horizonte.

Nineteen people have also been injured in the accident, which trapped a commuter bus, two trucks and a car.

The accident occured in Belo Horizonte, a host city for the World Cup. Credit: Reuters
A car is seen crushed under the debris. Credit: Reuters
Rescue workers inspect a bus trapped underneath a bridge that collapsed. Credit: Reuters

Read: Moment overpass collapses onto vehicles in Brazil

19 injured and at least one killed in overpass collapse

An unfinished overpass collapsed in the Brazilian World Cup host city of Belo Horizonte killing at least one person and casting a shadow over a tournament that has suffered repeated construction accidents and delays. It was earlier reported that two people had been killed.

19 injured and at least one killed in overpass collapse.

The bridge, located about two miles (3 km) from the Mineirao Stadium where World Cup games are being played, collapsed as vehicles were passing on a busy road underneath. Part of a passenger bus was crushed and another car was still trapped in the wreckage hours later.

The collapsed bridge stretched over one of the major thoroughfares connecting the stadium area with the international airport. It was part of a Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) system that officials had promised would be ready for the World Cup.

Rescuers struggling to access car trapped under rubble

A car was crushed by an overpass in the Brazilian World Cup host city of Belo Horizonte this afternoon.
A car was crushed by an overpass in the Brazilian World Cup host city of Belo Horizonte this afternoon. Credit: Reuters

A worker from the Fire Department in Belo Horizonte told Globo News that it is proving difficult for rescue workers to access a car that is trapped underneath an overpass that collapsed in the World Cup host city this afternoon.

“We need to stabilise the area to access the site safely and to study the situation at the bottom [of the rubble]” Lieutenant Colonel Edgard Estevo said.

More: Overpass collapses in Brazilian World Cup host city

Moment overpass collapses onto vehicles in Brazil

Police in Belo Horizonte have released footage of the moment an overpass collapsed onto passing vehicles this afternoon.

At least two people have been killed, 19 more injured and there is at least one person still trapped in their vehicle following the incident.

More: Overpass collapses in Brazilian World Cup host city

Load more updates

Advertisement

Today's top stories