Live updates

Family pays tribute to camp tragedy girl

The family of a teenager killed in a campsite tragedy thought to have been caused by a disposable barbecue have spoken about their "unimaginable sadness" about her death.

In a statement issues through police, relatives of Hannah Thomas-Jones described the 14-year-old's death as a tragic accident:

Hannah was a beautiful, intelligent, talented sister, daughter, cousin and granddaughter. She was a talented pianist, a sportswoman and had a wonderful warming sense of humour. Hannah was an adorable teenager who will be missed with unimaginable sadness.

Hannah will be forever in our and many people's memories. The joy that she gave in the short period she graced this earth was a blessing to all. We miss and love her so very, very much."

Advertisement

West Mercia Police: 'There do not appear to be any suspicious circumstances'

Detective Inspector Gavin Kinrade of West Mercia Police said:

"Although our work at the scene concluded yesterday afternoon, we will continue to work with the Shropshire Fire and Rescue Service to investigate this incident.

"We are treating the girl's death as unexplained, but there do not appear to be any suspicious circumstances.

It is therefore unlikely we will have any longer-term involvement with this incident."

– Detective Inspector Gavin Kinrade of West Mercia Police

Advertisement

Hundreds visits Hannah Thomas-Jones remembrance page

More than 300 people have "liked" a Facebook page set up in remembrance of Hannah Thomas-Jones and scores of people have posted messages of condolence.

Francesca McKendrick wrote:

"You will be missed so much, you were such a nice girl inside and out and no-one, especially you, deserves to die this young."

Chloe Hay posted:

"Everything sucks without you, you were the highlight of my life."

Another friend said:

"This beautiful girl didn't deserve to pass away but she will always be in our hearts no matter what!"

First picture of Hannah Thomas-Jones who died at Shropshire campsite

Hannah Thomas-Jones died from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning at a campsite in Shropshire Credit: Facebook

This is the first picture of teenager Hannah Thomas-Jones who was killed in a campsite tragedy thought to have been caused by a disposable barbecue on Saturday.

Her teenage brother and their parents were taken to the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital, where they remain.

West Mercia Police have said the boy is stable but "unwell" and the parents are comfortable.

Tributes to teenager Hannah Thomas-Jones killed at Shropshire campsite

Tributes have poured in for a teenage girl who was killed in a campsite tragedy thought to have been caused by a disposable barbecue.

Devastated friends have set up a Facebook page dedicated to the schoolgirl, named locally as Hannah Thomas-Jones

Shelby Lloyd wrote: "You are 1 in a million we wish we could change turn back time,you always cheered us up when we were sad".

Another friend wrote: "Love you Hannah, you had an amazing life and no one will ever forget you."

Hannah was pronounced dead at a Shropshire campsite after suffering a cardiac arrest at around 10am on Saturday.

Her parents and younger brother were all taken to hospital with suspected carbon monoxide poisoning.

Police treating campsite girl's death as 'unexplained'

Although our work at the scene concluded yesterday afternoon, we will continue to work with the Shropshire Fire and Rescue Service to investigate this incident.

We are treating the girl's death as unexplained, but there do not appear to be any suspicious circumstances. It is therefore unlikely we will have any longer term involvement with this incident.

The teenage boy is described as being stable but as still 'unwell' at the hospital this morning, while the man and the woman are now said to be in a comfortable condition.

– Detective Inspector Gavin Kinrade
Load more updates