A Canadian man who killed a Chinese student then posted his victim's body parts to schools and political figures has been found guilty of first-degree murder.
Luka Magnotta, 32, had admitted killing and dismembering engineering student Jun Lin, 33, in Montreal in 2012, but pleaded not guilty on the grounds of mental illness.
A jury deliberated for eight days before delivering its verdict today.
Magnotta was also found guilty of committing an indignity to a human body, publishing and mailing obscene material, and criminally harassing Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper and other members of Parliament.
A first-degree murder conviction in Canada carries an automatic life sentence with no possibility of parole for 25 years.
The victim's father, Diran Lin, who travelled from China to attend the trial said: "I had come to see your trial system to see justice done, and I leave satisfied that you have not let my son down."
Following the killing in spring 2012, Magnotta fled to Europe and was caught in a Berlin internet cafe, where he was reading about himself.
Canada is trying to confirm reports that a Canadian citizen has been captured in Syria, a foreign ministry spokesman said. "Canada is pursuing all appropriate channels" to seek further information and is in touch with local authorities, the spokesman said in a statement.
They're not usually seen in snowy climates - but one giant panda at Toronto Zoo loves the winter; throwing, sliding and playing in the snow.Read the full story ›
A funeral procession is being held for Corporal Nathan Cirillo, the Canadian soldier who was gunned down on duty in the capital Ottawa.Read the full story ›
Country music legend Johnny Cash's son was arrested after drunkenly stripping down to his underwear at a Canadian airport, police said.
John Carter Cash was returning from a hunting trip in Deer Lake, Newfoundland, when he began taking his clothes off, according to Canada's CBC News.
Airport security called in the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) but by the time officers arrived Cash had put his clothes back on. He had missed his flight.
Officers decided not to charge Carter Cash, who followed his parents into the country music business, because he cooperated with police and security and he had no criminal record.
The gunman who shot and killed a soldier near the Canadian parliament made a video saying he was driven by "ideological and political motives", police said.
Royal Canadian Mounted Police Commissioner Bob Paulson said they had "persuasive evidence" of the reasons behind Michael Zehaf-Bibeau's attack last week.
The clip cannot be released at this time but officers are conducting a detailed analysis of the footage.
Zehaf-Bibeau was shot dead at the scene after killing Corporal Nathan Cirillo, 24.
The attack in Ottawa came two days after a man described as an "IS-inspired terrorist" ran over two soldiers in a parking lot in Quebec, killing one and injuring the other before being shot to death by police.
Five people have been hurt, one critically after an industrial explosion in Sarnia, Ontario according to the local mayor Mike Bradley reports CBC News.
He added that the fire at the facility is now under control.
Sarnia police said on Twitter there had been an explosion at a tank car maintenance facility and rescue workers were at the scene.
Explosion at tank car maintenance facility on Scott Rd. Injuries reported. Please stay off Scott Rd. Sarnia Fire on scene.
Multiple people have been injured after an industrial explosion in Sarnia, Ontario, the Canadian Broadcasting Corp reported.
The broadcaster said it was unclear exactly what caused the explosion.
The body of Canadian soldier Corporal Nathan Cirillo has been taken from an Ottawa funeral home to his hometown of Hamilton.
Cirillo was murdered on Wednesday as he stood guard at the Canadian National War Memorial in Ottawa.
Hamilton police and members of Cirillo's regiment, the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, joined his family to accompany his casket home.
Security alerts have been declared in the Turkish city of Istanbul after the consulates of five western countries were sent packets of unidentified yellow powder, Reuters has reported.
Sixteen people were taken to hospital as a precaution after the suspicious deliveries to the consulates of the United States, Canada, France, Germany and Belgium, including 10 from the Canadian consulate.
The packets were treated as a heightened potential threat following the militant attacks in Canada this week with other consulates and embassies reviewing their security measures.
Tests on the powder will be delivered on Monday.