Carbon Monoxide awareness campaigner Stacey Rodgers from Huddersfield has welcomed a storyline in Coronation Street highlighting the dangers of the silent killer. Her son, Dominic, was killed after a leak from a boiler in her neighbour's house.
She hopes the events in the soap make people consider getting a CO alarm.
- Fit an audible carbon monoxide alarm: They need to be put in a central location in the house and can be fixed to the wall or can be placed on a table, bookshelf or shelf.
- Have fuel-burning appliances serviced annually by an appropriately qualified and registered engineer.
- Don't block ventilation and have chimneys swept at least once a year.
- Know the main symptoms: headaches, dizziness, nausea, breathlessness, collapsing and loss of consciousness.
- Keys signs are if symptoms clear up when you are away from home and come back when you return, or if other people in your household experience similar symptoms.
- Watch out for soot or yellow/brown staining on or around your appliance.
For more tips visit: www.co-bealarmed.co.uk.
Jennie McAlpine, who plays Fiz in Coronation Street, has told The People that the current carbon monoxide storyline is "already saving lives."
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colourless, odourless, tasteless, poisonous gas produced by incomplete burning of carbon-based fuels, including gas, oil, wood and coal.
Carbon-based fuels are safe to use. It is only when the fuel does not burn properly that excess CO is produced, which is poisonous.
When CO enters the body, it prevents the blood from bringing oxygen to cells, tissues, and organs.
You can't see it, taste it or smell it but CO can kill quickly without warning.
Visit the Health and Safety Executive website for more information.
At least 35 million people in Britain are still at risk from carbon monoxide poisoning, a new survey has found.
A survey for the Carbon Monoxide - Be Alarmed! campaign - found that people mistakenly think that their smoke alarm will detect carbon monoxide.
The Department of Health estimates that 50 people are killed by carbon monoxide poisoning, and at least 4,000 are treated in hospital, in the UK each year.
A storyline in Coronation Street is warning homeowners about the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Jennie McAlpine's character Fiz Stape was left in a critical condition on New Year's Eve after suffering gas poisoning from a faulty boiler.
The storyline has prompted a renewal of the Carbon Monoxide - Be Alarmed! campaign to warn about the dangers of carbon monoxide.
ITV's Daybreak has been told of the 'deadly' nature of carbon monoxide fumes, thought to have killed teenager Hannah Thomas-Jones.
President of the Carbon Monoxide and Gas Safety Society, Stephanie Trotter, said there needs to be better government warnings about items like the disposable barbecue.