Live updates

Major crash involving a tanker, a van and several cars closes M4 in Cardiff

The motorway is closed between junctions 32 and 33 and one lane has also been closed on the eastbound carriageway. Credit: Google maps

A serious crash involving a tanker, a van and several cars has closed the westbound carriageway of the M4 in Cardiff.

The tanker hit the central reservation halfway between junction 32 for Coryton and junction 33, Cardiff West, at about 17:50 GMT on Monday.

The motorway is closed between junctions 32 and 33 and one lane has also been closed on the eastbound carriageway.

There are long queues in both directions and a diversion has been set up at junction 30.

The Welsh Ambulance Service said it sent two rapid rapid response vehicles, one ambulance and a doctor.

An air ambulance cannot be called in due to the weather conditions.

Advertisement

Man, 40, charged over Cardiff sex attack

A man has been charged with rape in connection with one of three separate sexual assaults in Cardiff in just five days.

Remus Hamza, 40, from Cardiff, is due to appear at the city's magistrates court over the alleged attack on a 20-year-old woman in the civic centre on Sunday.

South Wales Police continues to investigate two other attacks, the second of which took place in the early hours of Tuesday when another 20-year-old woman was attacked in Cathays Terrace.

The scene of the third attack at Gorsedd Gardens Credit: ITV News

The third assault, on a 19-year-old woman, took place in Gorsedd Gardens in the civic centre at around 4.30am on Thursday.

Police later arrested a 22-year-old man from Cardiff over the latest attack but no charges have been brought.

Officers have reissued an appeal for witnesses to contact them on 101 or anonymously via Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.

Suspect bailed amid Cardiff sex attacks investigation

A 22-year-old suspect held over a string of sex attacks in Cardiff has been released on bail, ITV News Wales and West England Correspondent Rupert Evelyn reports.

A 40-year-old man arrested yesterday remains in custody.

Second arrest in Cardiff sex assault investigation

South Wales Police have arrested a second man over a series of sex attacks in Cardiff.

A 40-year-old man from the Riverside area is now in custody in connection with the first assault in the early hours of Sunday morning.

A 22-year-old man from Cardiff, who was arrested earlier, remains in police custody.

ITV News Wales Correspondent Rupert Evelyn tweeted:

Extra police deployed in Cardiff after sex attacks

South Wales Police Chief Superintendent Belinda Jones. Credit: ITV News

Extra police will patrol Cardiff's streets from tonight into the weekend after three serious sex attacks in the city.

South Wales Police Chief Superintendent Belinda Jones said: "This will provide reassurance.

"As our investigation continues, we want people to be able to go out, enjoy themselves and feel safe.

"I would like to advise people of a few basic rules; Stay together when out at night, please drink responsibly, always go home together, book reputable taxi firm and if you are walking always stick to well lit areas."

One man is in custody in connection with the attacks but police said the investigation is still continuing.

Anyone with information should contact South Wales Police on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Advertisement

'Too early to say' if same person carried out sex attacks

Detective Chief Inspector Richard Jones speaks at a press conference in Cardiff. Credit: ITV News

South Wales Police said it is "too early to say" if one person is responsible for a spate of sex attacks in Cardiff.

Detective Chief Inspector Richard Jones told a press conference one man had been arrested and remained in custody.

But he went on: "Despite this arrest, the investigation is still very much ongoing."

He confirmed three attacks had been reported to police in the past five days; two in Cardiff city centre and one at a house.

One victim was aged 19 and the other two are aged 20.

DCI Jones added: "We are doing everything possible to bring those responsible to justice, but I would appeal for anyone with information to contact South Wales Police."

  1. Wales

Body of newborn baby recovered from river in Cardiff

Police say the body of a baby was recovered from the River Taff this evening. Credit: ITV News/Mike Talbot

The body of a newborn baby has been recovered from a river in Cardiff.

South Wales Police says the baby, who they believe was born in the past few days, was found in the River Taff near the junction of Penarth Road and Taff Embankment shortly after 6pm.

We want to locate the mother of this baby to ensure she receives the medical attention she needs. We appeal to her to contact us, so that we can provide her with the support and reassurance that she requires.

We want to hear from anyone who has any information concerning this incident or from anybody who may be able to assist us in identifying the mother of this baby who is believed to have been born within the last few days.

– Detective Inspector Paul Latham, South Wales Police

The force says its priority at this time is the safety and wellbeing of the child's mother.

Anyone with information is asked to contact South Wales Police on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111 quoting reference 1500224381.

Load more updates