Police say a toddler found in an abandoned pram last night had been left on Warwick Road - one Carlisle's busiest roads.
The road provides a link from the town centre to the M6 motorway.
Cumbria Police have issued an urgent appeal for any information relating to a girl who was found abandoned in her pram in Carlisle last night. A statement on their website says:
At around 11 pm last night ... police were called to a disturbance on Warwick Road.
On arrival police officers found an abandoned pram, with a little girl, believed to be age around 3 years inside.
There was no trace of the child’s parents in the immediate area.
Anyone with information is asked to contact detectives at Carlisle Police on 101.
Police are trying to trace the parents of a young girl who was found abandoned in a her pram on a street in Carlisle.
The child, believed to be around three years old, was found as officers were investigating reports of a disturbance on Warwick Road at around 11pm on Thursday night. Police said there was no sign of the girl's parents in the vicinity.
The parents of the child are being asked to get in touch with Cumbria Police immediately.
A major search effort for a missing angler who is thought to have fallen into the River Eden in Carlisle, Cumbria has been called off for the night.
Robert Heaton, 41, was last seen leaving his home in Carlisle on Thursday to go fishing.
An RAF Sea King helicopter, the RNLI and the Coastguard have joined forces in the search effort.
Cars and vans are just about making it through floodwater under a bridge at Currock in Carlisle.
A takeaway boss from Carlisle has been convicted of attempting to recruit four girls aged 12 to 16 into prostitution.Read the full story ›
We acknowledge that some of the victims did make contact with us about their concerns over employees at the Spice of India takeaway. However the true picture of what was occurring at the premises by Azad Miah was not apparent.
However from December 2010 once the enquiry was commenced and a dedicated team formed, who relentlessly began to gather evidence over a lengthy period, it became clear on what had been happening. The evidence gathered resulted in charges and Azad Miah brought to justice.
For further coverage on this story visit ITV Border.
His trial at Carlisle Crown Court heard that one of his victims complained to police about him persistently harassing her in 2008, three years before his arrest.
During that time he continued his pattern of behaviour in what the prosecution described as a "cold, clinical exploitation of the desperate and vulnerable".
His mode of operation was to target girls and women who he thought would rather have sex for money than risk jail by stealing to feed addictions to drugs or drink.
Sentencing will take place on Tuesday from 11am. Judge Peter Hughes warned Miah he would face a "substantial" prison term as he further remanded him in custody.
A takeaway boss has been convicted of attempting to recruit four girls aged 12 to 16 into prostitution.
Azad Miah, 44, hounded and stalked the girls to have sex for money while at the same time running a brothel from his city centre premises in Carlisle.
The married father-of-four was also found guilty of paying for the sexual services of two teenage girls.