Live updates

Southampton acquire Celtic defender Van Dijk

Virgil van Dijk has moved to the Premier League. Credit: PA

Southampton have bolstered their defensive ranks by signing Dutch centre-back from Celtic.

The Netherlands international has penned a five-year deal with the Premier League side.

I'm delighted. It was a very easy decision to join this club. This is a very ambitious club, who have been doing very well in the last couple of years. It's a great place to be and it's the right step for me. For me now to get the opportunity to play in the Premier League is unbelievable and I will enjoy it. I know it's an ambitious club - they have been through a lot throughout the years. They are trying to play football and that's something that really attracted me.

– Virgil van Dijk

Advertisement

Southampton target unsure of Celtic future

Celtic defender Virgil van Dijk does not know if he will be staying with the Scottish champions this season.

The Dutch defender was in the team which lost to Malmo in the Champions League on Tuesday, increasing the likelihood that he will leave the club in the coming days.

Virgil van Dijk could be leaving Celtic. Credit: PA

When asked if he was on his way out of Glasgow following the 4-3 aggregate defeat, the 24-year-old said: "It's a terrible way if it ends like this but I don't know what's going to happen.

"I'm not looking for anything. It's a great place to be and they gave me an opportunity to show myself, so I'm very thankful for that.

"But if the right opportunity comes and it's the right opportunity for me then I'll consider it. But I think that's what any player would do."

When quizzed about Southampton's interest, Van Dijk said: "I can't say anything. I think you need to ask the board. I don't know what will happen in the coming days."

Deila accuses Celtic players of unprofressionalism

Celtic's Norwegian manager Ronny Deila accused his team of lacking professionalism after two of them argued over who should take a crucial penalty in the Champions League second qualifying round tie against Stjarnan of Iceland.

Griffiths had a late penalty saved. Credit: PA

The former European champions won 2-0 but Leigh Griffiths missed the late spot-kick that would have ensured a much more comfortable margin for the second leg in Reykjavik after Stefan Johansen and Griffiths argued over who should take it.

"It is Leigh Griffiths who takes the penalties, it should be very clear," Deila told reporters. "There is nothing professional about it. We shouldn't fight about who takes a penalty.

"Of course it impacts on the taker, it gives extra pressure to him. The longer you have to wait, the more chance you have to miss it.

"3-0 is a totally different result to 2-0, so it's disappointing."

Dundee United accept offer from Celtic for Nadir Ciftci

Dundee United have accepted an undisclosed bid from Celtic for Nadir Ciftci.

Ciftci appears to be on his way to Celtic. Credit: PA

The Parkhead club had reportedly seen two initial offers rejected over the past fortnight, but have now been successful at the third time of asking with an offer thought to be around £1.5m.

The Turkish striker will now discuss personal terms with the Scottish Premiership champions.

A statement on www.dufc.co read: "Dundee United today confirmed that an undisclosed fee had been agreed with Celtic for Nadir Ciftci and permission has been granted for the Glasgow club to speak to the player."

The 23-year-old must be registered by Saturday if he is to be available for the Hoops' Champions League qualifier against Icelandic side Stjarnan FC next Wednesday.

The Tangerines, meanwhile, are due to fly out on a pre-season trip to Holland on Thursday.

Advertisement

Celtic confirm capture of Man City defender

Dedryck Boyata rarely played at City. Credit: PA

Celtic have confirmed the signing of Manchester City defender Dedryck Boyata.

The Parkhead club issued a press release which revealed 24-year-old Belgium international will be presented at a media conference at Celtic Park at lunchtime.

Boyata, who flew into Glasgow on Sunday, is manager Ronny Deila's first summer signing.

Trial of Celtic striker for alleged assault on Elvis impersonator is adjourned

Anthony Stokes. Credit: PA

The trial of Celtic striker Anthony Stokes for an alleged assault on an Elvis impersonator has been adjourned.

Lawyers for the former Sunderland forward said they were ready to proceed with the hearing into an alleged incident in Dublin on June 8 2013.

Judge Patricia Ryan, at Dublin's Circuit Criminal Court, said she would put the case back for mention before the same court on May 12.

But she said she could not guarantee that it would proceed then.It is expected the trial will take two days.

The Ireland and Celtic player was in court, dressed in a white shirt, blue tie and grey suit, for the brief hearing.

He has been remanded on bail since last year.

Stokes, 26, was arrested by appointment and charged with assault causing harm to Anthony Bradley, 42, at Buck Whaley's nightclub on Leeson Street, Dublin.

Celtic fined for flares against Inter

Celtic have been fined just under £10,000 by Uefa following the misbehaviour of both their players and fans during last month's Europa League clash with Inter Milan.

The Hoops have been ordered to pay 8,000 euros (£5,861) after collecting five or more cautions during the 1-0 defeat to the Italians at San Siro.

They were also hit with a further 5,000-euro (£3,663) punishment after travelling supporters set off flares during the Round of 32 fixture, which saw the Scottish champions crash out after a 4-3 aggregate defeat.

Load more updates