The footballer, who was jailed for five years, claims the 'previously unavailable' information could help clear his name.Read the full story ›
The Attorney General has asked prosecutors to examine whether any criminal offences were committed by those accused of revealing the identity of the victim in the Ched Evans rape case.
Evans was convicted of rape in 2012 and served half of his five-year prison sentence behind bars.
The Attorney General, Jeremy Wright QC MP has asked the Crown Prosecution Service to consider whether any criminal offences may have been committed in regards to identifying the victim in the Ched Evans case.
He has also asked the North Wales police to investigate whether some of the material served during the course of the proceedings has been dealt with properly.
If not, this may constitute a contempt of court.
Oldham Athletic owner Simon Corney says the club would have been right to sign convicted rapist Ched Evans.
The League One outfit looked set to sign the Welsh striker, but pulled out of the deal after threats were made to club staff and family members, in addition to potential financial implications.
On the Evans issue, Corney told the Oldham Chronicle: “I’m completely over it. It came and it went, that was it. I was over here when it was all going on and it grew to be a lot bigger than I thought. But once the answer became a no, that was that.
"I still think the right thing would have been to take him, I really do. But in the end it wasn’t to be. We underestimated the attention and fury."
Corney also admitted he was looking to sell the Lancashire club.
“I’ve had enough and it’s no secret," Corney said. "I would like to find a buyer."
Oldham Athletic director Barry Owen insists he has no regrets over the club's aborted attempt to sign convicted rapist Ched EvansRead the full story ›
Oldham athletic director Barry Owen has resigned from the club's trust.
In a statement posted on the club's website, he insisted it had nothing to do the criticism over Ched Evans, who they decided not to sign yesterday.
But he "deplored masses of abuse...which has been harmful to my family" after Oldham staff reportedly received threats over the deal.
The statement added: "I have always tried to be objective and work above that conduct. I only hope that my replacement is never in such a position."
He gave his reason for leaving after 12 years as growing commitments with the club and the Football Association.
Gordon Taylor has issued a new apology through the Professional Footballers' Association website for appearing to compare Ched Evans' attempt to clear his name with the Hillsborough disaster.
I would like to apologise unreservedly for linking the Hillsborough case with the situation involving Ched Evans.
The last thing I intended to do was to upset anybody connected to the Hillsborough tragedy, I can only apologise.
I know the people involved and I will be very happy to ring them and let them know that.
The point I was making was not to embarrass or upset anybody at all among the Liverpool supporters.
Steve Bruce has disclosed he was one of the Premier League managers who contacted Oldham to give his support over signing Ched EvansRead the full story ›
Professional Footballers' Association chief executive Gordon Taylor has said he didn't mean to upset or embarrass anybody for appearing to compare Ched Evans' attempt to clear his name with the Hillsborough disaster.
Taylor made the comments in a radio interview after it emerged that Evans' proposed move to Oldham had collapsed amid threats to club staff and their families.
Taylor sought to clarify his comments on Friday morning, telling Sky Sports News: "The point I was making was not to embarrass or upset anybody at all among the Liverpool supporters. I'm very much an admirer of them and they know that.
"That was never my intention but it was the fact that how things at one time can be perceived one way but come out very differently with the passage of time.
"If people feel that way (offended) about what I said, I can only apologise."
Greg Dyke, chairman of the Football Association, has released an official statement saying there is 'no basis’ for the governing body to ‘intervene directly' with the Ched Evans Case.
Convicted rapist Evans has said "mob rule tactics" prevented him joining Oldham Athletic after the club pulled out of the move following a public outcry.
"Rape and sexual violence are abhorrent and unacceptable. This cannot be overstated," said Dyke in the FA statement.
"We have reviewed the Ched Evans case in some detail at The FA and we have examined both the legal requirements and our rules and regulations and there is no basis for us to intervene directly in this particular case.
"That said, it is important that we continue to look at the issue of behaviour and attitudes within football, and recognise the unique privileges and responsibilities that come with being a participating member of the national game.
"I would encourage the game to consider and discuss this matter and the prospect for future guidelines or codes of conduct. The FA will certainly be considering it in line with our own ongoing review of what constitutes public or private communications and behaviour."
The head of the Professional Footballers' Association Gordon Taylor has apologised after he appeared to compare the Ched Evans controversy with the Hillsborough disaster.
He told the BBC, "the last thing I intended to do was to upset anybody connected to the Hillsborough case".