Live updates

Cahill: Chelsea boosted by Terry contract extension

Chelsea defenders John Terry (left) and Gary Cahill. Credit: PA

Gary Cahill has welcomed John Terry's contract extension as a "great boost" for Chelsea players and fans alike.

The 35-year-old's long association with the west London club had looked to be coming to an end, 17-and-a-half years after making the first of 703 appearances.

At the start of the year Terry said he would not be staying past the end of his contract this summer, but Chelsea insisted an offer may be forthcoming and it arrived last week.

The man Blues fans describe as 'Captain, Leader, Legend' put pen to paper on that new deal on Wednesday, ending months of speculation and giving team-mates like Cahill a boost.

"It's important," he said of his fellow defender. "All the lads are very happy, I am sure the fans are very happy, so it is a great end to the season in that respect.

"But, for us, I just echo what everyone is thinking: it is a great boost, a great boost for the club, it's a great lift for the players and obviously the fans.

"Although it kind of dragged on for a little while, it has been sorted now and we look forward to him being part of his squad like he has been for many, many, many, many, many years. It is fantastic news for us."

Advertisement

Chelsea end deal with kit suppliers adidas six years early

Chelsea's deal with adidas will now end in 2017. Credit: PA

Chelsea will pay adidas an undisclosed sum to terminate their £300m kit sponsorship deal six years early and take up a new deal with a rival sportswear giant.

The deposed Premier League champions and the German sportswear manufacturer on Wednesday announced that the decision to end their 10-year partnership in June 2017, after an 11th year, was mutual.

The sportswear giant says the club have a new kit deal lined up with one of its competitors.

A statement from adidas read:

Chelsea Football Club and adidas AG announced today that they have mutually agreed to terminate their existing partnership agreement prematurely. The agreement will now end on June 30, 2017 and not, as originally agreed, on June 30, 2023.

This mutual agreement on early termination of the agreement will allow Chelsea Football Club to enter a new equipment agreement with a competitor of adidas. As compensation for the early termination of the contract, the adidas group will receive a payment from Chelsea Football Club in 2017 that will already positively impact the group's net income this year.

– adidas statement

Liverpool v Chelsea starting line-ups

Sunderland v Chelsea starting line-ups

Advertisement

Chelsea and Spurs charged by the FA

Both clubs have been charged by the FA. Credit: PA

Tottenham and Chelsea have both been charged with failing to control their players and/or officials following clashes at Monday night's Barclays Premier League match at Stamford Bridge, while Spurs midfielder Mousa Dembele has been charged for an alleged act of violent conduct.

The feisty encounter produced 12 yellow cards as well as two mass brawls, in which both players and coaches were involved, as Chelsea fought back from two goals down to draw 2-2, a result which handed the title to Leicester.

Dembele appeared to claw his fingers down Diego Costa's face during a skirmish at the end of the first half.

The Football Association confirmed a disciplinary case had now been opened, which in Dembele's case could lead to an extended ban if proven.

A statement read:

Both Chelsea and Tottenham Hotspur have been charged for three breaches of FA Rule E20 for failing to control their players and/or officials. It follows incidents which occurred in the 45th and 87th minutes and also at the end of the game at Stamford Bridge on Monday night [2 May 2016].

Both clubs have until 6pm on Monday 9 May 2016 to respond to their charge. Meanwhile, Mousa Dembele has been charged for an alleged act of violent conduct which was not seen by the match officials but caught on video during the same game.

The Tottenham Hotspur midfielder was involved in an incident with Chelsea's Diego Costa near the end of the first half. Further, it is alleged the player's behaviour constituted violent conduct in circumstances where the standard punishment of three matches that would otherwise apply is clearly insufficient. The player has until 6pm on Thursday 5 May 2016 to respond to the charge.

– Football Association statement

Danny Rose apologises for Stamford Bridge scenes

Referee Mark Clattenburg showed 12 yellow cards at Stamford Bridge. Credit: PA

Danny Rose apologised for setting a bad example after frustrations boiled over during Tottenham's bad-tempered 2-2 draw with Chelsea.

There was certainly no love lost between the two sides at Stamford Bridge as a feisty encounter produced 12 yellow cards as well as two mass brawls, in which both players and coaches were involved.

Tottenham and Chelsea may yet face retrospective action from the Football Association, with Mousa Dembele likely to be punished after he appeared to claw his fingers down Diego Costa's face.

There were several other unsavoury incidents during the game, with matters coming to a head at full-time when a melee in the tunnel resulted in Chelsea manager Guus Hiddink being pushed to the ground.

Rose, who sparked the first brawl after clashing with Willian, said he was sorry if the game set a bad example.

"It is not nice to see for kids here or kids watching on TV. I apologise if it looked bad on TV," Rose said.

"It is a London derby. It is to be expected. We wanted to win and they wanted to stop us having any more say in the title race.

"There are no bad words to say about Chelsea. These are the games you want to be part of. It was a great game."

Willian eager to play in 2016 Copa America and Olympics

Willian might need a rest at the start of next season. Credit: Reuters

Chelsea midfielder Willian wants to play in both the Copa America and the Rio Olympics this summer.

The 27-year-old, Chelsea's leading performer in a woeful season for last term's Premier League champions, hopes an agreement can be reached between the Blues and the Brazilian football federation.

"Everyone knows my desire to play in both championships," Willian told ESPN Brazil.

"But of course we do not want to fight and put Chelsea in a difficult situation, and I do not want to fight with the Brazil Football Confederation.

"I hope they and Chelsea enter into an agreement (about his release to play in the tournament)."

Load more updates