Live updates

Chinese Premier visits Tianjin explosions site

Li Keqiang toured the site of the blasts to oversee the search and rescue operation Credit: CCTV

Chinese Premier Li Keqiang visited Tianjin yesterday days after explosions killed at least 114 and flattened part of a national development zone, state media reported.

He toured the site of the blasts to oversee the search and rescue operation and stressed the importance of monitoring the quality of the air, water and soil in the area.

He paid his respects to fire fighters who lost their lives Credit: CCTV

Later Li paid his respects to the fire fighters who lost their lives during the rescue operation, CCTV said. At least 39 fire fighters were killed, according to state media.

It is estimated 70 people, most of them fire fighters, are missing and 700 people remain in hospital, state media said.

Advertisement

China officials confirm toxins at Tianjin blast site

Soldiers of the People's Liberation Army anti-chemical warfare corps stand next to a damaged firefighting vehicle Credit: Reuters

Chinese officials have acknowledged the presence of toxins at the site of two massive explosions in a warehouse district in the city of Tianjin, but said they pose no risk to people outside the two-km evacuation zone.

"I can responsibly say that there will be no secondary damage to the people," Shi Luze, the chief of staff of the People's Liberation Army's Beijing Military Region, told reporters, referring to people outside the zone.

Mr Shi confirmed the presence of more than 100 tons of deadly sodium cyanide, stored at two separate sites.

He said workers were trying to clear the area of chemicals before possible rain showers, which could create toxic gas.

China blasts death toll rises to 112 as 95 remain missing

The death toll from the massive explosions in Tianjin has risen to 112 with 95 still reported missing, China's Xinhua news agency reported.

Firefighters wearing gas masks stand near a damaged firefighting vehicle at the blast site in Tianjin. Credit: Reuters/China Daily

Eighty-five of those unaccounted for after Wednesday's blasts in the Chinese port city are firefighters.

Residents who had taken refuge in a school near the site of the explosions were evacuated yesterday after a change in wind direction prompted fears that toxic chemical particles could be blown inland.

Tianjin warehouse blast death toll rises to 104

Two massive blasts tore through an industrial area in Tianjin on Wednesday Credit: PA

The death toll from two massive explosions that tore through an industrial area in the port city of Tianjin in northeastern China has risen to 104, according to Chinese state media.

The number of people killed had previously been put at 85.

An unspecified number of people have been evacuated from near the location of Wednesday's blasts after a fire broke out again at the site.

Many took refuge in a school near the site, state media said, but the have been moved again after a change in wind direction on Saturday prompted fears toxic chemical particles could be blown inland.

China warns of toxic blast substances as winds pick up

China has issued a warning of harmful toxic substances surrounding the Tianjin blast site after a change in wind direction.

The death toll from the blasts, which originated in a warehouse storing toxic chemicals, has risen to 85 people. Credit: Reuters

Residents have been told to wear long trousers and masks as they evacuate schools initially used as safe-havens after Wednesday night's two huge warehouse explosions.

Local police have for the first time confirmed deadly sodium cyanide has been found at the site in the northeastern port city.

Advertisement

Residents evacuated after more explosions in Tianjin

A number of cars were seen ablaze and at least three places were on fire. Credit: AP

Armed police have evacuated people within three kilometres of the Tianjin explosion site after fresh blasts were heard on Saturday morning.

A number of cars were seen ablaze and at least three places were on fire, with thick black smoke rising from the scene after a number of explosions were heard.

Cyanide was also reportedly found by investigators.

Furious residents and victims' relatives railed against authorities outside a news conference on Saturday for keeping them in the dark as criticism over transparency mounted.

The mother of missing firefighter Xue Ning is helped by other family members outside a news conference. Credit: Reuters

Death toll rises to 85 following Chinese explosions

Many firefighters were feared to be among the dead. Credit: Reuters

Eighty-five people are now thought to have died following two huge explosions in a warehouse area storing dangerous in the Chinese city of Tianjin.

The country's Xinhua News Agency reported the revised figure more than 48 hours after the blasts, which sent shockwaves across the port city.

Many firefighters were feared to be among the dead.

Firefighter pulled from wreckage of China explosions nearly two days after deadly blasts

A firefighter has been pulled alive from the rubble in the Chinese city of Tianjin nearly two days after a series of explosions which killed at least 50 people.

Zhou Ti, 19, is being treated for chest injuries and is in a stable condition in hospital, the city's government said.

He was one of more than 1,000 firefighters sent to the burning hazardous goods storage facility. The explosions that followed killed 17 of his colleagues.

Candlelight vigils held for Tianjin blast victims

Candlelight vigils have been held across China for the victims of the Tianjin explosions.

Students and teachers from Zhejiang light candles which form into Chinese characters Credit: Reuters

Candles were placed in the shape of hearts and Chinese words such as "Tanguu, be safe". Tanguu is the former name for the port of Tianjin.

56 people are now reported to have died, including 21 firefighters.

Candles lit at the Chaoyin Temple in Tianjin in memory of the victims. Credit: Reuters
Load more updates