Live updates

Tianjin warehouse blast death toll rises to 104

Two massive blasts tore through an industrial area in Tianjin on Wednesday Credit: PA

The death toll from two massive explosions that tore through an industrial area in the port city of Tianjin in northeastern China has risen to 104, according to Chinese state media.

The number of people killed had previously been put at 85.

An unspecified number of people have been evacuated from near the location of Wednesday's blasts after a fire broke out again at the site.

Many took refuge in a school near the site, state media said, but the have been moved again after a change in wind direction on Saturday prompted fears toxic chemical particles could be blown inland.

China warns of toxic blast substances as winds pick up

China has issued a warning of harmful toxic substances surrounding the Tianjin blast site after a change in wind direction.

The death toll from the blasts, which originated in a warehouse storing toxic chemicals, has risen to 85 people. Credit: Reuters

Residents have been told to wear long trousers and masks as they evacuate schools initially used as safe-havens after Wednesday night's two huge warehouse explosions.

Local police have for the first time confirmed deadly sodium cyanide has been found at the site in the northeastern port city.


Residents evacuated after more explosions in Tianjin

A number of cars were seen ablaze and at least three places were on fire. Credit: AP

Armed police have evacuated people within three kilometres of the Tianjin explosion site after fresh blasts were heard on Saturday morning.

A number of cars were seen ablaze and at least three places were on fire, with thick black smoke rising from the scene after a number of explosions were heard.

Cyanide was also reportedly found by investigators.

Furious residents and victims' relatives railed against authorities outside a news conference on Saturday for keeping them in the dark as criticism over transparency mounted.

The mother of missing firefighter Xue Ning is helped by other family members outside a news conference. Credit: Reuters

Death toll rises to 85 following Chinese explosions

Many firefighters were feared to be among the dead. Credit: Reuters

Eighty-five people are now thought to have died following two huge explosions in a warehouse area storing dangerous in the Chinese city of Tianjin.

The country's Xinhua News Agency reported the revised figure more than 48 hours after the blasts, which sent shockwaves across the port city.

Many firefighters were feared to be among the dead.

Firefighter pulled from wreckage of China explosions nearly two days after deadly blasts

A firefighter has been pulled alive from the rubble in the Chinese city of Tianjin nearly two days after a series of explosions which killed at least 50 people.

Zhou Ti, 19, is being treated for chest injuries and is in a stable condition in hospital, the city's government said.

He was one of more than 1,000 firefighters sent to the burning hazardous goods storage facility. The explosions that followed killed 17 of his colleagues.

Candlelight vigils held for Tianjin blast victims

Candlelight vigils have been held across China for the victims of the Tianjin explosions.

Students and teachers from Zhejiang light candles which form into Chinese characters Credit: Reuters

Candles were placed in the shape of hearts and Chinese words such as "Tanguu, be safe". Tanguu is the former name for the port of Tianjin.

56 people are now reported to have died, including 21 firefighters.

Candles lit at the Chaoyin Temple in Tianjin in memory of the victims. Credit: Reuters


Nationwide chemicals inspection after Tianjin blast

Firefighters wear protective suits whilst carrying out rescue efforts Credit: Reuters

China will launch a nationwide inspection of dangerous chemicals and explosives, the government said on Friday.

They say they must learn a "profound" lesson from two huge blasts at a warehouse in the northeast city of Tianjin that killed at least 50 people.

The State Council, China's cabinet, said in a statement posted to its website that it would crack down on illegal activities to strengthen industry safety.

Tianjin fireman pulled from wreckage after 32 hours

Rescuers have pulled a firefighter trapped for 32 hours from the wreckage after responding to the massive explosions in Tianjin.

Firefighters walk along the debris as rescue efforts continue Credit: Reuters

The fireman was rescued just after dawn and taken to hospital to be treated for face, chest and foot injuries, according to a state broadcaster.

The death toll so far includes 17 firefighters sent in after the first blast, with an unknown number of firefighters still missing in the area.

China's state broadcaster CCTV said 19-year firefighter Zhou Ti received treatment for burns, smoke inhalation and an injured leg. Credit: NBC News

"Forces from all sides are searching for the (remaining) missing firefighters," Tianjin Fire Department head Zhou Tian said.

Meanwhile authorities are still dealing cautiously with a fire still smouldering amid potentially dangerous chemicals.

Water sprayed on chemicals may have sparked Tianjin blast

At least 50 people were killed in the explosions. Credit: Reuters

Water sprayed on chemicals by firefighters could have caused the deadly Tianjin explosions, experts said on Friday.

Firefighters were at the scene when the explosions took place after being called to reports of a container fire.

Police said the warehouse was storing chemicals including calcium carbide, which experts told the Reuters news agency reacts with water to create acetylene, a highly explosive gas.

Officials defended the actions of firefighters, saying they had not known the exact location of the calcium carbide.

A survivor was pulled from the wreckage on Friday, but 18 firefighters remained missing.

Load more updates