Live updates

Pregnant woman and three others killed in Ohio shooting

Credit: Reuters

A pregnant woman and her unborn child, together with three other people have been killed by a gunman in a shooting in the US city of Cleveland.

NBC News report that the tragic incident occurred on Friday night after a 41-year-old woman — accompanied by her 9-year-old daughter and 2-year-old son — drove up to a house on the city's east side. The woman sent the little girl inside the house to fetch clothing where she apparently interrupted the gunman.

Police said the girl discovered "one or some" of the shooting victims — a 60-year-old man, a 19-year-old man, and a 17-year-old girl. "At that time, a male armed with a handgun ran toward the 9-year-old and fired a shot, grazing the girl in the chest," police said in a statement Saturday.

The unidentified gunman, whom the girl described as wearing a mask, then rushed outside, where he shot and killed the girl's mother. The toddler, who was in the back seat of the car, was not injured.

"Only an animal would do something like this to another human being," Cleveland Police Chief Calvin Williams told the Northeast Ohio Media Group.

Prison officers falsified logs on day of Ariel Castro death

Ariel Castro, centre, was found hanging in his cell last month. Credit: Reuters/Aaron Josefczyk

On the day of Cleveland kidnapper Ariel Castro's death in his prison cell, prison officers falsified logs and didn't properly complete rounds, according to a state report released today.

A review by the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction found that rounds were missed and logs falsified in the six hours before Castro, 53, was found hanging in his cell on 3 September.

Castro had been serving a sentence of life plus 1,000 years for the abduction, torture and detention of three Cleveland women. He had been taken off suicide watch in June but was supposed to have been checked on every 30 minutes by guards.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Inside the Ohio kidnapper's home

Photographs were shown to the court of the inside of Ariel Castro's house in Ohio where he held three women for more than a decade.

A chain in the room that Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight shared. Credit: FBI
A letter found in the house written by Ariel Castro. Credit: FBI
The room that Amanda Berry and her daughter spent the majority of their time. Credit: FBI

Castro: 'We had a lot of harmony in that home'

Addressing the court Ariel Castro said: "Finally I would like to apologise to the victims. To Amanda Berry and Gina De Jesus and Michelle Knight. I am truly sorry for what happened.

Tearing up Castro continued: "To this day I'm trying to answer my own questions, I don't know why....I had everything going on for me...I just hope they can find it in their hearts to forgive me. Because we had a lot of harmony going on in that home."

Ariel Castro: 'I know it was wrong but I'm not violent'

Addressing the court before his sentencing Ariel Castro said: "I know it's wrong and I'm not trying to make excuses I know I'm 100% wrong for doing that. But I'm trying to say I'm not a violent person.

He continued: "I was driven by sex.

"Amanda [Berry], she got in my car without knowing who it was, I'm not trying to put in her, but I'm just saying I'm not a violent predator, I'm not a monster. I'm just sick, I have an addiction, just like an alcoholic has an addiction."

Load more updates