Live updates

'Lives may have been put at risk' at Colchester hospital

If you are diagnosed with cancer - you are entitled to think that your hospital will do all they can to ensure you get treatment you need as soon as possible. It is shocking to think that people's lives may have been put at risk for the sake of the waiting time figures.

Every year around six thousand people go to Colchester Hospital University NHS Foundation Trust to be treated for cancer. It is essential that people in north Essex can have confidence in their hospital.

We have found that the concerns raised by staff in relation to changes made to people’s cancer pathways were not appropriately managed or investigated by senior staff of the Trust, which is why I am now recommending that this trust should be placed in special measures.

– Chief Inspector of Hospitals, Professor Sir Mike Richards

Police consider criminal inquiry over cancer failings

Essex Police have confirmed they are reviewing whether to open a criminal case following the CQC report into Colchester hospital. In a statement, a police spokesperson said:

Essex Police has been contacted by the Care Quality Commission and is currently reviewing the information it has provided to establish whether a criminal investigation is necessary.

Advertisement

Colchester hospital criticised over cancer delays

Health watchdog the Care Quality Commission has recommended Colchester Hospital University NHS Foundation Trust should be put into special measures following serious concerns over services for cancer patients highlighted during an inspection.

CQC says staff reported they were pressured to change data relating to patients and their treatment to make it seem people were being treated in line with national guidelines - when they were not and some may not have had the treatment they needed in time.

Staff also reported having raised concerns about this but that this information was not acted upon by the trust.

CQC has also referred its findings to Essex police.

  1. ITV Report
  2. Anglia

Cassie's law

Five teenagers bailed over house party death

Five teenagers arrested over the murder of an A-level student stabbed outside a house party have been released on bail, police have said.

A 17-year-old boy from Colchester was arrested on suspicion of murder yesterday, while another 17-year-old was also questioned on suspicion of murder after being arrested on Monday.

A 17-year-old boy and two 18-year-old men who were arrested on suspicion of murder on previous days have also been released on bail, while Essex Police previously said a 17-year-old boy arrested on suspicion of murder was released without charge.

Fifth arrest over Facebook party death

A fifth teenager has been arrested over the death of an A-level student who was stabbed outside a house party.

Jay Whiston, who was 17, was knifed on Saturday night at the gathering that was attended by about 100 teenagers in an affluent area of Colchester.

Essex Police said a 17-year-old was being questioned today on suspicion of assault after being arrested in the town yesterday.

A 17-year-old boy and two 18-year-old men remain in custody at separate police stations in north Essex being questioned on suspicion of murder.

A 17-year-old boy, who had also been arrested on suspicion of murder, has been released without charge, police said.It is believed details of the event were circulated on the social networking site Facebook and a number of uninvited guests turned up.

Advertisement

Jay Whiston's mother 'still in shock'

Jay Whiston's mother paid tribute to her "loving, kind, generous, honest son" on Daybreak this morning. Caroline Shearer, and Jay's stepfather Michael said they were still in shock at the news of his death. Caroline said:

"We are not supposed to be here, not today, my son is supposed to be in school. He was an A-level student, studying law, he had his whole life mapped out, he was going to get married, he was going to have two girls [...] and now he is just gone."

Load more updates