An inquiry has been launched after a dangerous teenager from north London was convicted of raping an 11-year-old girl whilst on probation.
ITV News Anglia correspondent Malcolm Robertson reports on how Eddie Maher was brought to justice after 20 years on the run.
Criminal records which date back to 1770 are being published online, including details of Victorian serial killers and habitual drunks.
A Liberal Democrat council leader has resigned after being arrested on suspicion of possessing indecent images of children.
Councillor Derek Osbourne, who has been leader of Kingston upon Thames since 2003, was arrested by police on Tuesday.
– Councillor Liz Green on the Kingston Borough Liberal Democrat website.
Derek Osbourne has resigned from the Liberal Democrat Group.
We are deeply shocked by these allegations but I am unable to comment further as we must now allow the police the time and space they need to investigate the allegations thoroughly and without prejudice.
The new acting leader of Kingston Council said the local Liberal Democrat group were "deeply shocked" by the arrest.
A man has been arrested after a mother and her young baby were found murdered at their home in Birmingham this morning.
Police discovered the bodies of the 25-year-old woman and her nine-month-old son at a house on Chells Grove in Billesley at around 10:30am.
Murder detectives immediately launched a major investigation and at around 5:15pm this afternoon arrested a 28-year-old man in the Dudley area on suspicion of both murders.
The person in custody is known to the victims and officers are keen to stress that they are not looking for anyone else in connection with the killings.
Police have cordoned off the house on Chells Grove whilst forensic investigators examine the scene
A man has been arrested after a mother and her baby were found murdered at their home in Birmingham, West Midlands Police said today.
Michael Adebolajo, 28, has been charged with the murder of Drummer Lee Rigby, Scotland Yard said today.
He has also been charged with the attempted murder of two police officers and possession of a firearm.
Cleveland Police have urged the public not to approach a sex offender with a history of violence who has failed to register with the authorities.
Police said Geoffrey Mark Ball, 41, is wanted for breach of the notification requirements under the Sexual Offences Act 2003.
Unkempt Ball, who is 5ft 10in tall, of proportionate build and with short black hair, was last seen in a Redcar pub a week ago.
He was convicted of indecently assaulting a woman in 1989 and received six months in custody.
He was then jailed for five weeks in 2010 for sexual assault on an adult female and placed on the Sex Offenders Register until 2017 for this offence.
The public was warned not to approach him as he also has convictions for violence, including a conviction for GBH in 2006, for which he was jailed for four years.
He is known to be a regular user of social media sites and seeks to make contact with people on them.
A police spokeswoman said: "He is also previously known to frequent betting shops and pubs in the Redcar area, and anyone with information regarding his whereabouts is asked to contact police immediately on 999."
A boy aged just nine has admitted burgling a house and stealing the keys of a car that crashed moments later, police said.
But the child was too young to be prosecuted because he was under the age of criminal responsibility.
– Cleveland Police spokeswoman
A nine-year-old boy has admitted taking the keys from the property and enquiries are ongoing into the incident.
Cleveland Police investigated the break-in at a house in Miller Crescent, Hartlepool on May 16, after reports that a red Vauxhall Vectra had been taken and crashed soon after with a parked white Renault Megane.
The Vauxhall owner, who was not named, told the Hartlepool Mail newspaper: "It is unbelievable what has happened, but it doesn't look like anything will happen apart from probably a slap on the wrists."
The owner said hundreds of pounds of damage had been caused to his car, and the other vehicle.
Two men have been charged in connection with the death of a Frenchman four years after he went missing.
Police were called to a house in Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, earlier this week after information received concerning 35-year-old Christophe Borgye.
A search of an outbuilding at the address in Hylton Court uncovered human remains thought to be those of the French national who was last seen in May 2009.
Dominic Kocher, 34, and Manuel Wagner, 25, both from Abbey Bank, New Abbey, Dumfries, have been charged with preventing a lawful burial and assisting an offender, Cheshire Constabulary said.
A third person, a 35-year-old man, who was arrested on suspicion of murder has been sectioned under the Mental Health Act.
A post-mortem examination has shown the cause of death to be blunt force trauma, Cheshire Police said.
Mr Borgye's family in France has been contacted and is being kept informed of developments.
Both men will appear at Chester Magistrates' Court later today.
A murder investigation has been launched following the shooting of a man last night, police said.
The 31-year-old man was shot on Church Road, Hove, at about 11.30pm.
He was taken to the Royal Sussex County Hospital in Brighton but died just after 1am.
Chief Inspector Helen West of Sussex Police said the incident is not believed to be random.
– Chief Inspector Helen West of Sussex Police
This is now being treated as a murder investigation. The man, who was found lying in the street, was quickly attended to by police and paramedics and taken to hospital but has tragically died.
This is a fast moving, developing inquiry to identify and trace the person or people responsible.
From information we do not believe this to be a random incident.We are actively seeking the offender, who we believe has left the area, and a number of police units including CID, Neighbourhood Policing, Road Policing and dog units are involved in this inquiry at this time.
Chief Inspector West said the investigation was still in its early stages and officers are "talking with a number of witnesses and have secured the scene for forensic examination".
Ministry of Justice figures show that up to 259,000 victims of burglary and up to 18,000 victims of robbery each year would not be routinely offered the help they want if these proposals go ahead, Victim Support said.
The charity said independent research also shows that 58% of victims need support regardless of the crime type.
Victim Support assistant chief executive Adam Pemberton said the charity welcomed many changes to the proposed code but had "serious concerns" with plans to limit automatic referral.
– Victim Support assistant chief executive Adam Pemberto
Our research shows that nearly two-thirds of victims need help and that support can reduce their chances of suffering problems such as depression, absenteeism from work and family breakdown with all the hidden economic and social costs they bring.
We recognise that ministers are seeking to put victims' rights at the heart of the criminal justice system but call on them restore the principle of automatic referral which has served millions of people so very well.
He said there was a 'very real risk' that people who have been burgled, robbed and assaulted will 'fall through the cracks' and suffer more unnecessary trauma as a result.