Live updates

Prime Minister 'profoundly shocked' by aide's arrest

The Prime Minister has insisted he has handled the arrest of advisor Patrick Rock over alleged child abuse images in "an absolutely correct way."

Answering a question from ITV News political correspondent Libby Wiener, David Cameron said: "Obviously when I heard these allegations I was profoundly shocked and I remain profoundly shocked today.

"In terms of the release of this information, I don't think it would be right to preemptively brief out a criminal investigation and that's why we did not do that but as soon as questions were asked, as questions would inevitably be asked, we have given very full and straightforward answers.

"I was told about this issue pretty much as soon as it was discovered. I've been very clear that we must handle this in an absolutely correct way and I'm satisfied that that is what Number 10 Downing Street has done."

No 10 aide 'involved in Govt's internet filters policy'

Downing Street has confirmed Patrick Rock was one of the advisers involved in the Government's policy on internet filters to protect against child abuse images online.

Leading search engine companies Google and Microsoft agreed in November to introduce changes that will prevent such images from being listed in results for more than 100,000 searches.

The Number 10 Downing street door.
Number 10 said policy adviser Patrick Rock resigned his position last month. Credit: Steve Back/REX

A Downing Street spokeswoman said, "Patrick Rock was one of a number of advisers and officials involved in dealing with this issue but the work was led by somebody else, and decisions were taken by ministers."

The 62-year-old adviser was brought back into Downing Street by David Cameron in 2011 after they both worked in the Home Office under Michael Howard in the 1990s.

Read: Downing Street aide arrested 'over child abuse images'

Advertisement

No 10 aide resigned over child abuse images allegations

Deputy Political Editor Chris Ship reports that Downing Street have said policy adviser Patrick Rock resigned from his job on the day Downing Street was first made aware of a potential offence relating to child abuse imagery. He was arrested the next day.

Twitterpic2_normal

No10 clarify that policy adviser Patrick Rock - arrested over allegations of child abuse images - resigned from his job on February 12

No 10 statement on aide held over 'child abuse images'

Downing Street has confirmed that a Number 10 policy aide has been arrested on suspicion of an offence related to child abuse images.

In a statement, it has said:

On the evening of February 12th Downing Street was first made aware of a potential offence relating to child abuse imagery.

It was immediately referred to the National Crime Agency (CEOP).

The Prime Minister was immediately informed and kept updated throughout.

Patrick Rock was arrested at his home in the early hours of February 13th, a few hours after Downing Street had reported the matter.

Subsequently, we arranged for officers to come into Number 10 have access to all IT systems and offices they considered relevant.

This is an on-going investigation so it would not be appropriate to comment further, but the Prime Minister believes that child abuse imagery is abhorrent and that anyone involved with it should be properly dealt with under the law.

Downing Street aide arrested 'over child abuse images'

Downing Street has confirmed that a Number 10 aide has been arrested on suspicion of an offence related to child abuse images.

Patrick Rock was arrested on Thursday 13 February. Credit: Steve Back/REX

Patrick Rock was arrested on Thursday 13 February after Downing Street reported the matter to the police.

It added that the Prime Minister "was immediately informed and kept updated throughout."

No. 10 'will not pre-empt Northern Ireland discussions'

Number 10 said it would not pre-empt the discussions being held in Northern Ireland today and refused to say what timetable it was working to.

The Prime Minister's official spokesman said:

When serious concerns are raised, it's a matter of urgency to consider these things but discussions are ongoing. I'm not going to try and pre-judge how those will pan out.

Clearly, all the issues that the First Minister raises will, of course, be looked at.

He refused to be drawn on when the Prime Minister was aware of the 38 letters sent out to IRA suspects since the Coalition Government took power.

Advertisement

George Osborne welcomes new resident to Downing St

Christmas has come early for the children of George Osborne, with the Chancellor posting a picture of a new puppy.

Mr Osborne said his children, Luke, 12, and Liberty, 10, had named the Bichon Frise 'Lola'.

George Osborne welcomes the 'new resident of Downing Street'.
George Osborne welcomes the 'new resident of Downing Street'. Credit: George Osborne/Twitter

Mr Osborne revealed that he was already struggling with some 'business' issues, tweeting: "Some early issues with toilet training ... but we don't care. We love her."

It remains to be seen how Lola will get on with the family's cat Freya, who already lives in the flat above Number 10.

Ghosts of politicians past haunt Number 10

Ghosts of past politicians may still be haunting Number 10, it has been revealed.

The facilities manager at Number 10, David Heaton, has spoken of his encounter with the resident ghost in a dining room.

Ghosts of past politicians may still be haunting Number 10, it has been revealed. Credit: PA Wire

After arriving very early, Mr Heaton went to investigate a bright light in the small dining room, but as he entered someone walked past him.

Mr Heaton said he felt a "real presence" and heard a "rustling".

The facilities manager said the episode still sends "shivers up his spine".

Listen to the full ghost story from inside Number 10

10,000 sign petition to keep town hall's WWI memorial

Campaigners fear Fenton Town Hall will be demolished if it goes into private hands. Credit: Philip Toscano/PA Wire

Campaigners have delivered a 10,000 signature petition to Downing Street in a bid to stop the Government from selling off a Staffordshire town hall that contains a unique First World War memorial.

Fenton Town Hall, whose memorial pays tribute to 500 soldiers, is being marketed by the Ministry of Justice to private buyers for around £500,000.

Save Fenton Town Hall campaigners want the hall to be preserved as a community building.

Load more updates

Advertisement

Today's top stories