Live updates

Advertisement

State funeral held for Italy earthquake victims

A state funeral has been held for victims of a powerful earthquake that hit Italy on Wednesday as the country held a day of national mourning for all those who lost their lives in the tragedy.

Despite suffering their own injuries crowds of people gathered to pay their respects and show support for each other in the midst of the ongoing national emergency.

ITV News Correspondent Emma Murphy reports.

Italy quake death toll rises to at least 290

People gather during a funeral service for victims in Ascoli Piceno. Credit: Reuters

The number of people killed in Italy's earthquake has risen to 290 as the country holds a national day of mourning.

A state funeral attended by Prime Minister Matteo Renzi has been held in the city of Ascoli Piceno for 35 of the victims.

Search and rescue operations are continuing but have been hampered by hundreds of aftershocks since the 6.2-magnitude earthquake struck on Wednesday.

Italy mourns victims of deadly earthquake

A woman sits next to a coffin to pay her respects as she attends a funeral for the earthquake victims Credit: Reuters

Italians are paying their respects to the victims of Wednesday's powerful earthquake on a day of national mourning.

At least 281 people died and around 400 remain injured in hospital after the 6.2-magnitude earthquake caused hundreds of buildings to collapse.

Search and rescue operations are continuing but have been hampered by hundreds of aftershocks.

President Sergio Mattarella has visited Amatrice, one of the worst-affected towns, where the majority of the casualties occurred.

President Sergio Mattarella shakes hands with a firefighter as he visits Amatrice. Credit: Reuters

A state of emergency has been declared in the affected towns.

Day of national mourning for Italy earthquake victims

Rescue workers are continuing efforts to try to find survivors in the Amatrice Credit: Reuters

A day of national mourning has begun in Italy for at least 281 people who died after a devastating earthquake on Wednesday.

Prime Minister Matteo Renzi is also due to attend state funerals for around 40 victims in the nearby city of Ascoli Piceno.

Almost 400 remain injured in hospital after the 6.2-magnitude earthquake caused hundreds of buildings to collapse.

Search and rescue operations have been hampered by hundreds of aftershocks since the quake hit mountainous regions in central Italy.

A state of emergency has been declared in the affected towns.

Advertisement

Tributes to three Britons killed in Italy earthquake

Tributes have poured in for three Britons who were killed by an earthquake which devastated central Italy.

Marcos Burnett, 14, and Maria and Will Henniker-Gotley, aged 51 and 55, were killed when the 6.2-magnitude earthquake struck on Wednesday, destroying the building they were sleeping in.

ITV News Correspondent Emma Murphy reports:

Queen gives personal donation to help earthquake victims

The Queen has given a personal donation to help the search and rescue operation in Italy in the wake of a huge earthquake which killed at least 267 and left hundreds more badly hurt.

The Queen has given a donation to the Red Cross Credit: PA

Buckingham Palace said the unspecified amount was given to the British Red Cross, of which she is patron.

The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh have previously said they were "saddened to hear of the loss of life" and sent their "thoughts and prayers" to the "people of Italy, especially the family and friends of those affected".

Load more updates