Three Iranian men have been rescued from the English Channel after their small boat got into trouble.
The trio were picked up by the Border Force cutter HMC Seeker near Hastings in East Sussex after it was alerted by the Coastguard at 9.30am on Saturday
HMC Seeker was deployed immediately and has picked up the individuals onboard who are believed to be Iranian nationals. The group will now be processed.
The Maritime and Coastguard Agency said its helicopter from Lydd in Kent and the RNLI lifeboat from Hastings had also got to the men's aid.
The men were held two weeks after 18 Albanians had to be rescued from an inflatable boat after it sank off the Kent coast, prompting immigration union officials to warn Britain's coast faces one of its greatest ever breaches from small boats and dinghies carrying migrants.
A 14-year-old girl suffered an accidental death contributed to by neglect while under the care of the Priory, an inquest jury has ruled.Read the full story ›
Not long before his death last week, the rock star Prince took delivery of a specially made guitar - fashioned in an East Sussex garden.Read the full story ›
Some parts of East Sussex experienced a layer of snow on Wednesday evening as the UK prepares for a chilly night.Read the full story ›
A mother who killed her three-year-old daughter has admitted murdering her baby son 13 years earlier.Read the full story ›
A woman has died in an arson attack at a hospice in East Sussex which the police are treating as deliberate.
Some 31 people were evacuated from St Michael's Hospice in St Leonards after the blaze in the early hours of this morning.
A 67-year-old man has been arrested in connection with the fire, which hospitalised 10 more residents suffering from smoke inhalation.
Chief Inspector Paul Phelps said:
This is an extremely difficult time for the residents and staff of St Michael's Hospice and for the family of the resident who has sadly passed away.
We have detained a man on suspicion of arson and we are not looking for anyone else in connection with this.
The family of the seven-year-old girl, who died in hospital today after allegedly being shot in the head by her father, have said they are "grieving the death of our beautiful and loving Mary".
Police said Mary Shipstone was caught in the middle of a domestic dispute at her home in Northiam, East Sussex. She was rushed to hospital but was pronounced dead at 2.56pm.
Mary's father Yasser Alromisse is believed to have later turned the gun on himself.
Detective chief inspector Jason Taylor said they are trying to establish Mr Alromisse's movements over the last few days and are keen to hear from anyone who may have seen or heard from him.
He added at this time it was being treated as an isolated incident.
Chief superintendent Neil Honnor, Sussex Police's divisional commander for East Sussex, said: "This was a tragic domestic incident that has had the most terrible of outcomes for the family.
"We are working with partner agencies and local leaders to support and reassure the community who are understandably upset about what has happened.
"If anyone has any concerns about the safety of their neighbourhood I would urge them to contact us but we are sure this was an isolated incident and that no one else is in any danger."
In a statement, the family asked for privacy to come to terms with what has happened.
Seven-year-old Mary Shipstone, the girl reportedly shot in the head by her father who is then believed to have turned the gun on himself, has died, Sussex Police said.
A neighbour of a young girl who was shot in the head said the whole village "went into lockdown" shortly after the gunshot was fired.
Anthony Burr described "the panic" that swept across the Northiam to Good Morning Britain.
"We got all the kids in, locked all the doors, shut the gates and went into lockdown making sure everyone was safe in the vicinity."
A girl of "primary school age" shot in East Sussex today is in a "life-threatening condition" in hospital, police said.
Chief Superintendent Neil Honnor, Sussex Police's divisional commander for East Sussex, said:
We are treating this as a tragic domestic incident and do not believe that anyone else is involved.
At this stage we are not in a position to confirm the relationships of all those involved but we can say that the girl and the man knew each other. The man does not live at the address.
We are treating this as an isolated incident and there is no evidence that any other members of the public are at risk.