Isabel Oakeshott, the political editor of The Sunday Times who worked with Vicky Pryce to expose her taking of Chris Huhne’s speeding points, has said she “really doesn't feel responsible for what has happened to her”.
Oakeshott told Daybreak: “I really don’t feel responsible for what has happened to her.
"Remember where this story started - it started with Chris Huhne walking out on his family after 26 years of marriage.”
She added: “For me it was, at the beginning, a political story – that’s why I was pursuing it.
"It was about a cabinet minister who had apparently committed a criminal offence.”
Perverting the course of justice carries a maximum sentence of life imprisonment, although the average sentence is around 10 months.
Both 58-year-old Chris Huhne and economist Vicky Pryce, 60, have been warned to be under no illusion about what punishment they face.
Disgraced MP Chris Huhne and his ex-wife, Vicky Pryce, are due to be sentenced today.
The former couple are both facing jail terms at a hearing at Southwark Crown Court at 2pm.
Pryce was found guilty by a jury last week of perverting the course of justice by taking speeding points for Huhne in 2003.
The former energy secretary had already pleaded guilty to the charge.
Only 7% of Conservative supporters believe the party will win an overall majority at the next election, The Times has reported, with three quarters expecting Labour to be in power.
The newspaper cited the figures from a canvass of Tory supporters.
Conservative planning minister Nick Boles, though, has warned his party against swinging to the right following the drubbing in last week's Eastleigh by-election, which he said was the result of a "truly rotten campaign".
He said the party had failed to offer voters any hope in the Hampshire constituency and instead repeated the same mistakes it has been making "for a decade".
Mr Boles, an ally of the Prime Minister's, also warned any party schemers they needed "their head seeing to" if they believed it was wise to attempt to dethrone Mr Cameron.
Nick Clegg is celebrating after what he described as a "stunning" by-election victory in Eastleigh, where his former Cabinet colleague Chris Huhne resigned in disgrace.
But there was a setback for his coalition partner David Cameron with the Tories forced into third place by UKIP.
Political correspondent Carl Dinnen reports:
UKIP leader Nigel Farage has told a press conference that "never again" will people say voting for the party is a wasted vote, following the Eastleigh by-election where the party finished second.
He added that he intended to capitalise on the "tremor" UKIP had created in Eastleigh and turn it into a "national political earthquake" at the European elections next year.
The Labour backbencher Austin Mitchell has described Labour finishing fourth in the Eastleigh by-election "a disaster":
Eastleigh disaster. Labour needs a nationalist appeal. The nation is being betrayed,weakened and sold down river.We sd say so
The Conservative MP Conor Burns appears to blame local councillors rather than the central party leadership for the party's poor performance in the Eastleigh by-election:
The Eastleigh result is in no small part a consequence of withered local organisation caused by an absence of Council leadership or vision